Cam Swap Accessories

Over the last week I have been doing a alot of research and searching on a cam swap.

I have decided on a comp cam 212/218 - .522/.529 114 LSA

what I am including with the swap is

GMHPP lifters

COMP Cams 941-16 valve springs <-- Correct springs????

comp cams spring retainers

GM cam swap gasket kit

I was going to keep the stock push rods and i was thinking about Summit 1.8 rocker kit.

Am I missing anything important here? I know i'll need coolant too.

dont skimp on the push rods, they are not too expensive. GM made these to be the weak link if the engine is over rev'd or a shift is missed.

with that mild of a cam I would use the stock spring retainers/locks

I would not use the rockers, just get a larger/different cam.

I might look into PAC springs, they are a single spring and the orginal makers of the comp 918's.

Whats your reason for using different lifters?

I would do the trans work first, stall while you have the trans out...then do the cam.

There is so much cam info here you will go into over load.

good luck :thumbs:

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

thanks for the info. Thats a good idea, I will do my headers first, then trans stuff, then finally camp swap. Could I get a way with a little more aggressive cam and keep stock rockers and lifters? I should change the springs no matter what though right?

that cam is the first cam ive put in my truck..i just put 918 springs and comp 7.4 pushrods..you dont need the lifters or the gasket kit, ive always reused the stock gaskets because they are reusable style gasket..ive done prolly 15 cam swaps and never had any problems..if your going to get 1.8 rockers just get a bigger cam its really a waste of money..

I have a part number conflict for the front seal. I did some digging and found 12585673. I seems to be a front seal for a GenIII. But the one on LS1Howto is 12561244 and I can't find it anywhere. what gives? anyone run into this?

I have a part number conflict for the front seal. I did some digging and found 12585673. I seems to be a front seal for a GenIII. But the one on LS1Howto is 12561244 and I can't find it anywhere. what gives? anyone run into this?

that how-to is fairly "old"

here is a charity part number: 12499228 one number does it all :thumbs:

that how-to is fairly "old"

here is a charity part number: 12499228 one number does it all :thumbs:

Maybe old but a good use of info... torque specs and what not. I used it when i swapped my cam and couldnt of been happier with the instructions

Maybe old but a good use of info... torque specs and what not. I used it when i swapped my cam and couldnt of been happier with the instructions

i didn't say anything about the info, becuase it is very helpful. just that there may be new or cross-referenced part numbers.