Questions About Transgo Shift Kits

I have been doing some research and i think my first mod for my truck will be a shift kit and servo's i have some questions about the Transgo 4L60E-HD2 reprogramming kit is it an actual shift kit or does it just reporgram the pcm? If it is a kit does it come with servos and all the other springs and what not? And after i install the shift kit and servos will i need to get my pcm tuned? if so any recommendation on tuners i am looking to do future mods so i don't want to have to pay to much to get my pcm re-tuned after every mod.

Edited by rojo_143 (see edit history)

The transgo HD2C is a real shift kit, it does not do anything to the PCM. Yes you need to disable the shift timings table in the PCM when installing a shift kit; you can optionally reduce or eliminate torque management as well to pick up some performance. HPTuners and EFILive both have their tradeoffs so you are going to have to take a look at both before considering a decision.

Mr. P. :)

Mr.P

do you know if this kit comes with servos or are they sold sperately? also is the pcm reprogram something that needs to be done right after the shift kit is installed or can i still drive my truck without the reprogram? also with this truck being my daily driver should i keep a certain percent of the toqure management?

Mr.P

do you know if this kit comes with servos or are they sold sperately? also is the pcm reprogram something that needs to be done right after the shift kit is installed or can i still drive my truck without the reprogram? also with this truck being my daily driver should i keep a certain percent of the toqure management?

Servos sold separately.

Mr.P

No it doesnt need to be done right after and i recommend zippy for a tune, If i remember right he tuned it so under fullthrottle i would have no torque management. You will be pleased with the transgo:)

Mr.P

Servos sold separately.

:withstupid: You want the Corvette servo & a billet Super Hold 4th servo in addition to the TransGo HD2C. Use either 1 or 2 washers in the 2nd accumulator cup (I prefer 2), NEVER 3. If you wait to program the PCM what will happen is that it will see the faster acting hydraulics and it will slow the shifts back down to stock settings via control of solenoids, you will have your old slushbox shift back in 100-miles :sick: So yeah ideally you want your adaptive shift tables reprogrammed asap. Torque management, there are lots of opinions on this, and here is mine - with just a shift kit alone and still using stock hard parts, I would leave 10-20% of the factory torque management in the tune and consider removing all torque management only on race days, leaving just enough TM in the tune to take the edge off the shift but not enough that the engine completely noses over before commanding the shift. But lots of guys remove all TM and do just fine too.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Servos sold separately.

:withstupid: You want the Corvette servo & a billet Super Hold 4th servo in addition to the TransGo HD2C.

now is it a waste of money to get the billet 1st and 2nd servo instead of the corvette servo? and has anybody used pro-flo servos from jet performance? both the 1st and 2nd and the 4th are billet and you can get both for around $150.

now is it a waste of money to get the billet 1st and 2nd servo instead of the corvette servo? and has anybody used pro-flo servos from jet performance? both the 1st and 2nd and the 4th are billet and you can get both for around $150.

i am pretty sure they are for serious power...i have the vett servo and i like it

A Vette servo can hit hard enough to completely shatter the main input drum, if setup right. The Transgo kit is calibrated specifically for use with the vette servo; my only complaint with the Vette servo is that the 3rd accumulator is still way too soft for my liking, and a good way to fix that is to completely block off the 3rd accumulator with a plug. I bought a billet 2nd and it does not hit 2nd any harder than the vette servo (in fact I've got it hitting softer than my vette servo used to) but the billet 2nd greatly improved the hit of 3rd gear because of the change in 3rd accumulator volume (it's smaller); my next time through the transmission I'm having the 3rd accumulator passage blocked off completely, it will hit 3rd about as hard as the stock 1-2 shift (perfect!). The billet 4th OTOH is a must IMO.

Mr. P.

A Vette servo can hit hard enough to completely shatter the main input drum, if setup right. The Transgo kit is calibrated specifically for use with the vette servo....

:withstupid: I second that.......with the Vette servo and TransGo shift kit my truck sometimes will chirp the tires at 1/2 throttle on 1-2 shift because it hits pretty hard. :P

what if i got my tune to remove torque management before i put in the shift kit. I plan on going withthe transgo hd2c and corvette servos. just dont have the cash right now, and i was getting my computer reprogrammed anyways. Will i wreck anything without the shift kit installed??

what if i got my tune to remove torque management before i put in the shift kit. I plan on going withthe transgo hd2c and corvette servos. just dont have the cash right now, and i was getting my computer reprogrammed anyways. Will i wreck anything without the shift kit installed??

You can remove all of the TM before a shift kit, but I wouldn't recommend it. I removed 50% before my shift kit was installed and I wound up cooking the 2-4 band. You will need to retune for the shift kit anyway....I would say that anything up to 50% would be okay, but I wouldn't do any more than that without a shift kit. These tarnsmissions are usually a gamble reguardless of what is in them or what tuning is done. :chevy:

I found the transgo shift kit and the corvette servos on ebay for about 100-120 bucks. are these the only things i need for the shift kit? is there a shift kit for every gear?

Sorry, Im new to the transmission game.

Thanks guys

All you need is A shift kit(1 shift kit) that's all. The pricing sounds about right for that and the Vette servo. That's all you should need unless you want to get crazy with alluminum accumulator pistons and a TC........