Had My Cam Installed

Thanks guys. I'm not sure why the rods didn't changed. I guess Frank didn't think they needed to. I'm just going to get a TB converter for now, and a Zippy shift kit. I don't want to start putting to much money into it. One of my friends might be selling his 1970 SS Chevelle with a 454 crate motor that he's been restoring. So I want to save up for my hot rod.

I'm hoping to see a 13.9 Mike. That's a pretty big jump from a 14.5 to a 13.9 though with just a cam swap, but anything is possible.. I'm gonna use Franks DR's to get some traction, and give a shot on May 16th. I'll let you guys how I did, but it's going to be in the 90's so I might not do so well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'm not sure why the rods didn't changed. I guess Frank didn't think they needed to. I'm just going to get a TB converter for now, and a Zippy shift kit. I don't want to start putting to much money into it. One of my friends might be selling his 1970 SS Chevelle with a 454 crate motor that he's been restoring. So I want to save up for my hot rod.

I'm hoping to see a 13.9 Mike. That's a pretty big jump from a 14.5 to a 13.9 though with just a cam swap, but anything is possible.. I'm gonna use Franks DR's to get some traction, and give a shot on May 16th. I'll let you guys how I did, but it's going to be in the 90's so I might not do so well.

like I said invest another 100 bux for insurance..or you might be replacing a collapsed lifter or a broken valve spring soon...Trust me I've been wrenching on the gen3/4 engines since 98.

Welp I did put in the cam but I don't see the reason to put pushrods in they don't solve any problems that are present.. Zo6's run a cam thats fairly stout and turn more RPM than our trucks are intended to with the same ball welded pushrods. I repeatedly beat the living crap out of my truck with the dart heads and cam with Stock rockers and pushrods for over 16k miles and had no issues. I was shifting at 6800 at the track and ran it down to low 13's no boost.

It truly is personal preference but I don't see the point in putting another 100 bucks into a job that can me a fairly inexpensive weekend warrior project with the right tools. For the budget minded guy the Zo6 springs a cam and gaskets is not all that expensive. The special tools required for the swap.. the spring compressor,air holds crank puller and installer.. thats stuff not everyone is gonna have but the level where Terry's truck is at right now I feel very confident in his setup not only the assembly parts but also the tune. The truck has tremendous street manners and sounds absolutely wicked. Like I told him from the get go. I don't like building trailer queens or track only trucks. I build trucks that are meant to be driven thats why I do things the way I do.

All in all I am glad that he is happy with the setup and I am really excited to get it to the track next weekend and give her a beating. If he is really nice I will loan him my drag radials. Haha

Thanks Lance, but I really don't drive it much. Only once or twice a week, so maybe they wiill be ok. Like I said before, I trust Frank in his wisdom. But if something does happen, then I'll just fix it.

Terry

the stock push rods are a weak point in fact in the last 3 months I know of 3 LSX powered cars/trucks that have broke due to push rod failure....on collapsed a lifter and then ended up grinding the crap out of the cam....also a TBSS that bent the push rod which broke a spring and dropped the valve. Thats fine if you dont change them out, but hey if you break down dont expect me to keep my mouth shut so I can say I told you so.

Thanks Lance, but I really don't drive it much. Only once or twice a week, so maybe they wiill be ok. Like I said before, I trust Frank in his wisdom. But if something does happen, then I'll just fix it.Terry
or buy a new motor

the stock push rods are a weak point in fact in the last 3 months I know of 3 LSX powered cars/trucks that have broke due to push rod failure....on collapsed a lifter and then ended up grinding the crap out of the cam....also a TBSS that bent the push rod which broke a spring and dropped the valve. Thats fine if you dont change them out, but hey if you break down dont expect me to keep my mouth shut so I can say I told you so.or buy a new motor

You know you guys are kind of pissing me off. The guy posted up a clip of his cam because he is proud of how it sounds. When I used to be on this board daily maybe just a year ago.. if that.. people supported one another about what they did to their trucks. And granted.. not everyone agreed with what they did. But no one sat here and whined about it. Listen. You said your peice. You don't like that he's using stock push rods the point has been made. You wanna say I told you so? Say it to me. If you have nothing else to say regarding why he posted this thread then just leave it be. Stop poking at shit the point has been made.

If he bends a rod or drops a valve. I will personally buy him a new ****ing engine how's that?

I don't see you offering up to do cam swaps for 400 bucks in 1 day you start doing that you can gladly have all my buisness.

And if you think I took this wrong then too damn bad.

You know you guys are kind of pissing me off. The guy posted up a clip of his cam because he is proud of how it sounds. When I used to be on this board daily maybe just a year ago.. if that.. people supported one another about what they did to their trucks. And granted.. not everyone agreed with what they did. But no one sat here and whined about it. Listen. You said your peice. You don't like that he's using stock push rods the point has been made. You wanna say I told you so? Say it to me. If you have nothing else to say regarding why he posted this thread then just leave it be. Stop poking at shit the point has been made.

If he bends a rod or drops a valve. I will personally buy him a new ****ing engine how's that?

I don't see you offering up to do cam swaps for 400 bucks in 1 day you start doing that you can gladly have all my buisness.

And if you think I took this wrong then too damn bad.

I apologize if I offended anyone here. It does sound nice...I like it. I just dont want to see another thread in the future talking about a bent push rod thats all.

and bud I do them for 250.00 lol in 5 hours. Go ahead ask the members here about my work and also my hospitality.

you have anything else to say to me pm me and I will glady give you my number so we can discuss why your upset...

I have also helped dozens and dozens of members here with their projects and taken the time to take good care of them. I understand I was a bit out of line.

Have a good night :cheers:

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

Frank and Danny y'all need to hug...lol Both are a tremendous source of knowledge on this site...It all got a little out of line but nothing i saw was bad enough for anyone to get butt hurt over.....

:thumbs: