Big Dissapointment

well i hate to rattle on but heres the rundown. 2 identical(except color) 08 gmc crewcab 4x4's. buddies is 5.3 w/3.73 gears. mine is 6.0 w/ 4.10's. we ran redlight to redlight quiet a few times. i jumped him off the line but not much. maybe 1 -2 truck lengths. and then he would keep up.

then the big one. turned left on 4 lane. about when he straitened up he punched it and so did i. we ran to 80 and i could not get him. he wasnt loosing me but i sure as hell wasnt gaining. right on his azz but could not have passed him.

i am very disappointed in my power. i have 2100 miles and he had 2500. both probably not broke in but still with the gears and more ADVERTISED hp i sould have been able to pass him. i took it back and dealer told me" truck performes as supposed to"

now there is no reason to buy wheatly tune or cai if in stock form it will not run. anyone know of a dealer in the birmingham area that actually knows what a max is, and not just another truck in the service bay?

It's all in the tuning/gears I believe.....you are running a 4.10 which will definitely get you out of the hole better but will kill your top end........your buddy on the other hand running a 3.73 will be weaker out of the hole but have a much stronger top end than you. Like mentioned before a custom tune will help your truck out tremendously, that 5.3 won't be a problem anymore with one. :chevy:

It's all in the tuning/gears I believe.....you are running a 4.10 which will definitely get you out of the hole better but will kill your top end........your buddy on the other hand running a 3.73 will be weaker out of the hole but have a much stronger top end than you. Like mentioned before a custom tune will help your truck out tremendously, that 5.3 won't be a problem anymore with one. :chevy:

Agree on the gearing, and you have 52 more hp then him but the 5.3 has a shorter stroke, which rapsout faster, and you have to consider you were alredy moving and not lined up strait, your reactions were off, and then you have to consider other factors like do you both buy the same octain, same air filter/intake?

i do want a few more mods. but seriously, in stock form the vmax should smoke a 5.3. i know about the tk management killing these trucks off the line but dam, i still should beat him.

The 5.3L also has less torque management, which could explain why the 5.3L gave u a good run. The Vortec Max is really detuned and is really not enjoyable to drive with the TM it has. The V-Max also has the three second delay which hold back power sick, tune it man and you'll smoke 5.3L and Hemi's. You'll be way happier after you tune it, all the power that it puts out will be usable. Weird thing is my V-Max would smash on 5.3L trucks on stock tune.

well i started on this site b/f i got my new vmax. i was really thinking out of the box these things were bad azz. but i see all of your point. i've done research and i need a wheatly tune. i will have to catch him of one of those no core deals, as i need my truck. dont have a week to let her sit. ill keep all informed. but still, imo, it should blister a 5.3 in stock form.

i may not have mentioned b/f, but i came from a 01 2500hd with a fat block. now that by god would get it done!!! even with stock tk management it was a hoss. guess i was thinking the lighter vmax would outrun my old 100k miled up 8.1. boy was i wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with you. I had a classic body VortecMax and never had them side by side but if I had the Classic would have SMOKED the NBS I have now. I don't what they did after they put that motor in the truck (maybe a boat anchor wrapped around the drive shaft) but they sure don't put 70% of the 367 advertised horses to the ground. I know what everybody has said about TM and tunes but I've rode in a Wheatly tuned NBS and still think the Classic was more powerful. I hope that Jess w/wait4me performance can show me what this thing can do. I love Chevrolet don't get me wrong but from 07 to 08 they went backwards IMO. Jesse Bubb +50 HP, & 70 ft/lbs FTW.

I totally agree with you. I had a classic body VortecMax and never had them side by side but if I had the Classic would have SMOKED the NBS I have now. I don't what they did after they put that motor in the truck (maybe a boat anchor wrapped around the drive shaft) but they sure don't put 70% of the 367 advertised horses to the ground. I know what everybody has said about TM and tunes but I've rode in a Wheatly tuned NBS and still think the Classic was more powerful. I hope that Jess w/wait4me performance can show me what this thing can do. I love Chevrolet don't get me wrong but from 07 to 08 they went backwards IMO. Jesse Bubb +50 HP, & 70 ft/lbs FTW.

Was the tuned NBS a V-Max? I don't think u can gain 50hp & 70 ft/lbs out of a tune. Tune the truck, it will be way faster.

Was the tuned NBS a V-Max? I don't think u can gain 50hp & 70 ft/lbs out of a tune. Tune the truck, it will be way faster.

Yeah, it was/is a VMAX. He has since went to a SuperChips, and let me stop you guys before ya'll start ragging handhelds, he's just as happy (maybe more) and the truck performs just as well if not better. As for the gains Jesse has done it on the dyno. As a matter of fact he did it the day before he tuned the classic. I was hoping to do appearance mods first on this truck, but after getting run with @ 80 MPH on the highway by a Tahoe that I know has only handheld, cai, tb spacer, and exhaust I'll have to rethink my plan of action.

• 4 months later...

latest update for all. got my blackbear pcm in this week. man, what a difference!!!!! this is the best money i have ever spent for a pef. mod.

JUSTIN IS THE MAN!!!!!! i can tell about a 150% difference. now, it drives like it should.gm should have tuned these trucks like this from the factory.

special thanks goes out to justin for giving me extra help for a computer stupid customer.