V6 Swap?

okay... SO I know probably 97% of the members here are going to want to bash me for this post but please dont. Ive never oned any cars/truck with out a V8 and always had to have somthing decently fast. BUT I really can not afford the SS gpg. I REALLY hate to sell my truck because of it. So I was trying to think of some option and swaping in a 3.8 from a Fbody crossed my mind. I know it would be DOG SLOW but with 4.10's I think it would probably get decent milage I also thought about a 4.3 but they seem do drink fuel pretty decent as well. Anways I was just wanting to see what others thought about these two motors in my truck and what type of numbers I could expect (oviously not 1/4mile ET but MPG rather)

man your brave for posting this.

but it would be cheaper to sell the truck and buy somethign good gas mileage.

youll have to buy alot of parts and it would not be cost worthy to do it.

and imo youd have to remove the ss badges too.

you could have someone tune it for you and get 3.73 gears to help with mileage.

Your truck is too heavy to considerably improve mpg with a v6. I got a buddy with a v6 in his 04 RCSB who gets the same mileage I get in my 5.3 with boltons and no tune. What I'm saying is that with a v6 you will not get enough improvement to justify the cost, you're better off taking that money and putting it towards a smaller dd that will for sure get you better gas mileage.

smaller motors dont always equal better mileage..your truck is heavey..puttin a small motor is like putting a trailor on towin a small car..you will get worse mileage..to get mileage out of a small motor you need a small vehicle..

Edited by dirt_track_racer_81 (see edit history)

Yup, you are talking at least $4k + for he swap and it wont even feel right to you. You could take half of that $4k and pick up a used cheap neon, cavalier, older grand am and get high 20mpg's and save tons of cash. As soon as I get another job, thats what I am going to do. I see used 100k mile 7-10yr old cars around here all the time for $2-3k. They will average mid 20 mpg and I will tickled pink. You need to be financially smart about it. You need to figure out your investment costs versus what you will see for a return.

For example. Lets assume the following:

You get 15mpg ( just assume ).

You drive 15,000 miles per year.

That is 1,000 gallons of fuel per year.

@ $4.00/g (premium) = $4,000/yr in fuel cost.

Assume the swap costs you $4,000 and nets you 20mpg (realistically less in most cases).

So now you can run regular @ 3.80/g

You will still drive 15,000 miles per year.

That is 750 gallons of fuel per year.

@3.80/g (regular) = $2,850/yr in fuel cost.

A difference of $1,150!!!

SO, in conclusion, you would have to drive and own the truck for 3.47 yrs to break even, thats before you even start saving money. Because remember, you spent $4k to save the $1150 per year. Not worth it.

Now, if you just spent $2k on a beater DD like suggested...and it got 25mpg's...

15,000 miles still.

600 gallons of fuel per year.

@ $3.80/g = $2,280/yr in fuel cost.

A DIFFERENCE OF $1,720 per year. You can clearly see that you would break even on your investment in about 1.16 years. That would be a much wiser and mroe realistic return on your money. It is the smarter move. And I highly doubt the swap would only cost $4k. Not to mention, the severe damage you would do to the resale value and possibility of the truck should the need ever arise to sell it. You would cut the trucks value in half most likely, which could be $10k or more in lost value.

:withstupid: Save-up $500 and buy a 4-cyl beater i.e. Cavalier, Maxima, Saturn, etc.

Mr. P.

But I cant stand to drive beaters... I still wanna roll somthing hot, even thought it would be dog slow atleast it would still have big wheels, nice paint, leather, nav., and a pretty hot audio

also I kinnda figured since the 6.0 is on a stand I could do some little shit to it, and adventually put it back in someday... But I guess I still look into getting that blacked out 1000RR Ive been looking at :cold:

Edited by Chevrolet SS (see edit history)

:withstupid: Save-up $500 and buy a 4-cyl beater i.e. Cavalier, Maxima, Saturn, etc.

Mr. P.

But I cant stand to drive beaters... I still wanna roll somthing hot, even thought it would be dog slow atleast it would still have big wheels, nice paint, leather, nav., and a pretty hot audio

Then take the $$$ you would spend on a 6-cyl swap and buy an expensive beater. :laugh:

Mr. P. :)

I bought a 88 acura integra to drive to work to save on gas, its not pretty but it gets me there. I keep my truck parked until the weekend. Like the others said, I would save the hard work and money and find a cheap four banger to drive around.

post-14884-1210481791_thumb.jpg

well since you like big wheels, they dont help gas milage at all. neither does adding more wieght to a vehcile

but honestly you will get better mpg with the lq9 with a tune, new gears lighter wheels and drive it easier.

you could have a experienced tuner even make a e85 tune for you to run on ethanol, is mileage is really that important.

or buy that 1000RR , it would be cheaper to buy that and run it than do a v6 swap

also think of resale. no one is going to buy a ss with a v6 swapped into.

OK serious suggestions. Install a used Radix, truck with stock cam & heads typically gain 2-mpg provided you can keep your foot out of it. Get a tuner to program a lean cruise tune, you can gain another 1-2 mpg there as well. Have a sheet-metal shop make 2 belly pans covering the open area between the outer edge of the body to the frame, from the back of the front wheel-wells to the back of the cab = 1/2-mpg. Install a light-weight tonneau cover, good for another 1/2 to 1-mpg at freeway speeds. Get efans if you don't already have them, good for 1-2 tenth's MPG. Make sure your plugs, wires, injectors, and O2 sensors are in tip-top shape. If you have 4.10 gears then replace with 3.73's. These changes would certainly make the truck as efficient as if it were equipped with a 6-cyl.

Mr. P.

A 3800 isn't strong enough to move a heavy truck like this efficiently........if anything I would say swap a 4.3 into it. But then again to even think of swapping a V6 into an SSS is crazy. I hear a beater calling your name. :crazy: