Gas

shawnp

I can only get 91 in my area. so 91 it is for me.

Basically you can run lower octain, but your knock sensor is going to kick in which will adjust your computer and get you less miles per gallon besides make your system run harder.

I asked a Bro at work what he ran in his 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 and I was surprised he said 87. But he also mentioned it pinged. I went and looked inside of his gas cap door and it didn't have the Premium only sticker only like the / my SS has.

I mentioned that to him and he's going to make a road trip this weekend or next and go to with 87 and drive back with 91 or 93 and test the difference.

Oh gas went up .20¢ in our area today. But I'm not bitchin.. I love my truck :)

Basically you can run lower octain, but your knock sensor is going to kick in which will adjust your computer and get you less miles per gallon besides make your system run harder.

I asked a Bro at work what he ran in his 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 and I was surprised he said 87. But he also mentioned it pinged. I went and looked inside of his gas cap door and it didn't have the Premium only sticker only like the / my SS has.

I mentioned that to him and he's going to make a road trip this weekend or next and go to with 87 and drive back with 91 or 93 and test the difference.

thats becasue he has a different motor aka the lq4 vs your motor the lq9, they have different pistons, the lq7 has 9.5-1 compression where as your ss has 10-1 compression . this is why we must run 91 . you can run 87 and it wont damage anything but can get less mpg and will have less power.

a bone stock truck should not ping on 87 if its good gas.

not only will pinging retard the timing but also could cost you a piston too....

When I bought my TBSS the dealer filled it up with 87 and it never pinged with that gas, but I only ran it for a day and burned it out on the highway ASAP.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

a bone stock truck should not ping on 87 if its good gas.

not only will pinging retard the timing but also could cost you a piston too....

When I bought my TBSS the dealer filled it up with 87 and it never pinged with that gas, but I only ran it for a day and burned it out on the highway ASAP.

Maybe he's pinging due to the fact that he has a trailer with his 2 Gravely riding mowers hooked up most of the time & perhaps also having a true dual exhaust (only othre Mod is a drop in K&N).

I know he can only get 11 or 12 MPG regardless towing or not.

It would be intresting to see if he gains MPG's by going to 91+

I'll let you know (If he does it), Thanks for the lession guys and Sorry to hijack your thread shawnp, Welcome to the fourm :cheers:

Enjoy your new SSS :chevy: