Stupid Tranny Guy Scratched My Truck

HuntersSS

I have a 2003 SSS that has never had any paintwork done on it. It had a cracked accumulator piston and I had a transmission shop put a shift kit in it and replace the piston with a metal one. Transmission is great but when I picked it up the owner took me out and showed me where he scratched my truck!!!!!!

So he said no problem he will take care of it and he already had the body shop guy look at it. The body shop guy is supposed to try and wet sand/buff it out. I can see at the end of teh scratches where it has removed paint so I am very skeptical that this will work. On the other hand, I dont want to paint three panels of my truck for fear of the color not matching. The guy is a nice guy and he only charged me $450 for a shift kit, fluid, filter, accumulator piston and corvette servo installation. I paid the guy and got my truck back. I kinda fell like an idiot for paying him.

I guess here are my options:

- see if they can buff the scratch out, which wont be 100% and he will probably have to give me a partial refund

- get my money back and have my friends repair shop take care of it

- buy replacement parts that are painted to put back on the truck?

The parts that are scratched are the SS body kit parts on the rear pass door, the piece behind it, and the piece on the bed of the truck in front of the wheel.

Any suggestions?

You should pay him 100% for his work ... and he should pay 100% to fix your truck correctly. I can't believe you would even consider buying parts, paint to match, and install them over fixing a SCRATCH in your exisitng equipment. Luckily you are black and it shouldn't be an issue with paint matching (red=bad). The guy was honest and upfront with you. Why would you beat him down on paying for his work? I would let him fix it and then if something doesn't look right he is responsible to make it right. If you go to a buddies shop you are stuck with it. He sounds like a sound business man and won't hurt his repuatation over an incident like this.

Sucks big time they scratched your truck though. Hopefully they will fix it right and you won't have to worry about it. You should probably take pictures and some documentation if you think it will become a problem.

You should pay him 100% for his work ... and he should pay 100% to fix your truck correctly. I can't believe you would even consider buying parts, paint to match, and install them over fixing a SCRATCH in your exisitng equipment. Luckily you are black and it shouldn't be an issue with paint matching (red=bad). The guy was honest and upfront with you. Why would you beat him down on paying for his work? I would let him fix it and then if something doesn't look right he is responsible to make it right. If you go to a buddies shop you are stuck with it. He sounds like a sound business man and won't hurt his repuatation over an incident like this.

Sucks big time they scratched your truck though. Hopefully they will fix it right and you won't have to worry about it. You should probably take pictures and some documentation if you think it will become a problem.

Doesnt the cladding/molding come painted from the dealer :dunno:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

Edited by OneSlickSilvy (see edit history)

Unless the scratch goes through to the plastic or metal, the most that would need to be done is a little air brush work. Don't worry about it until there's something to really get upset over. I mean, the guy was up front about it... That already makes him better than about 1/3 of the guys out there.

take it to a shop and get your own estimate and that way you have an idea of how they plan to fix it, them if his body person cheaps out you can say how you want it fixed or the trans guy can pay you and you take it to your shop. I bet he has some type of insurance for issues like this. Dont let too much time go by geterdone!

Doesnt the cladding/molding come painted from the dealer :dunno:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

that would be the easiest route, no down time and perfect match and orange peel.

edit: that link shown just goes to a no-go results page...

Edited by travisn (see edit history)

Anyone have a link to the painted cladding/molding or do I need to call the dealer?

The work he did is awesome, and he is a nice guy. I would actually recommend going there and will probably take my vans there if he fixes my truck.

My main concern is that the truck is 100%... I would have a major problem if you could tell there was paint work done on this truck...

How difficult is it to remove those body kit pieces? Would the paint match better than a body shop spraying them in place?

The scratch is to the plastic.. but only small sections of the scratch.

Edited by HuntersSS (see edit history)

Search button is your friend. There has been a bazillion threads on molding part numbers and what all is involved in replacing them. I stole this from the first thread I found. If you have never priced the molding .... I suggest you sit down before you search.

15197889 - License Plate Bracket

15178219 - Crossbar and Grille

12335659 - Front Bumper

12335765 - Front Bumper Grille

12335766 - Passenger Air Duct

12335767 - Driver Air Duct

10360423 - Driver Front Door Molding

10360428 - Passenger Front Door Molding

10360434 - Driver Rear Door Molding

10360441 - Passenger Rear Door Molding

15178226 - Passenger Fender Molding (Behind Front Wheel)

15178227 - Driver Fender Molding (Behind Front Wheel)

88980000 - Passenger Rocker Panel (Under Door Cladding)

88980186 - Driver Rocker Panel (Under Door Cladding)

15178234 - Passenger Rear Fender Molding (Before Rear Wheel)

15178235 - Driver Rear Fender Molding (After Rear Door)

15197858 - Passenger Rear Panel (After Rear Door)

15197857 - Driver Rear Panel (Before Rear Wheel)

88944467 - (Not sure which side) Silverado SS Panel (Behind Rear Wheel)

88980189 - (Not sure which side) Silverado SS Panel (Behind Rear Wheel)

15178282 - Lower Tailgate Molding

15197873 - Tailgate Spoiler

15178667 - Decal on Tailgate

15178666 - SS Letters

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

I agree with Big O... Sh*T happens man... dont get to uptight about it... at least he SHOWED you and is trying to work it out... be cool in the same, and dont be so critical... your truck is black it should be an issue.

:cheers:

I am not up tight or up set about it. I would call myself stupid if I scratched my truck... ? Also this thread is great, I never knew I could get the parts painted already... wow! I am going to start looking for part numbers and price them tomorrow as an option... might be cheaper than the time and effort to paint all three pieces.. not to mention a better end result.. ?

On another note... I got pulled over and ticketed for tint on my front windows today... that I am a little upset about... lol

I agree with Big O... Sh*T happens man... dont get to uptight about it... at least he SHOWED you and is trying to work it out... be cool in the same, and dont be so critical... your truck is black it should be an issue.

:cheers:

:withstupid: agreed, nobody is perfect, at least he was honest with you