New Summer Project

I found it on Craig's List for $500 as a "parts bike" that had been sitting in the barn. We put a free battery into it (someone had just turned it into the store as a core and they said we could have it, voltage tested good), and then we drained the carbs and tank of it's 5 year old gas, and the SOB started up on the second push!!! No rattles, good compression, shifts fine...Granted it still needs the carbs pulled and cleaned, and a brake job amoung a few other things, but hell... This is a lot more bike than I was expecting for 500 bucks!

All of the luggage is there in good shape, and the locks ALL WORK which is unusual. The paint actually looks to be in decent shape under the bird doo and dirt. I'm going to power wash it tonight and see how bad the clearcoat really is... No dents, dings, or deep scratches though...

silverwing1.jpg

silverwing2.jpg

silverwing3.jpg

silverwing4.jpg

Not my style, but definately a nice bike for the money!!! That bird took a hell of a dump on the tank!!!

Not really my style either. I like the muscle bikes, like GS1100G's, VMAX, VROD, that type of thing. I just wanted something to work on to make a few bucks and maybe the occasional trip to work to save gas. Nothing sells like an over the road cruiser with full dress though, and I have owned a few CX500 and a GL650, which share the same platform and engine/drivetrain layout, so it's a good fit.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Nice find for $500. Especially if you know how to work on them.

Yeah, it's only real mechanical problem is a coolant leak from the thermostat/cross over tube area. Shouldn't be bad at all. Largest expense will be tires at $100-$150 for the set depending on the deal I find.

I'd like to find a Honda CB350, that was the motorcycle I first learned to ride. It was fun.

I looked at 3 CB350 twins, 1 CB350 4 cylinder, and 1 360 twin. I was going to do a Cafe style racer with it, swap CB500C forks and front brakes (disc instead of drum), clubman bars, etc, etc. But then I got the idea to try to make some money to fund the real project I want to do. If I just putting money together as it was available I would get burned out on a project pretty quickly, so this way is probably better for me.

There was one guy with 2 CB350 twins on craigslist for $400. One with title and a broken cam bolt, the other with no title and a good engine to snag parts from. http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/669418614.html He also had a fairing to go with it. Fix the one, part out the other, you should have no problem making money.

Well, I power washed it last night and the clear is totally ruined from the bird dung sitting on it to long. It's going to need a repaint. Oh well, I can powder coat a lot of things while it's disassembled now I guess.

The carbs are almost off of it (finish removing them tonight), then, once it's running nice I'll tear off the tank, side covers, bags, fairing and repaint them all, and poweder coat any goodies I can along the way. Thinking a deep maroon, but more red than the factory had it. The maroon that it is (was) now was to brown for my taste.