Broke My Cladding

cwest94

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured and compared doors and gaps on both sides and they seem to be identical. After 3 years and asking anyone who would listen, the only answer I could come up with is that maybe the cladding bows outward just slightly under the right weather conditions (high temp and humidity). I did some testing and there was no way the cladding has moved toward the fender or is positioned wrong. The only thing that made enough diiference to allow it to hit was pulliing the cladding away from door a little. These pieces are kinda tall and long and I think they are fastened only at the top by double sided tape and at the bottom by screws, so the middle area can be pushed or pulled away from the door. I'm not sure if there is any tape anywhere else to hold it against the door, if not I would def add some if it was replaced.

Edited by Joe Cool (see edit history)

I measured and compared doors and gaps on both sides and they seem to be identical. After 3 years and asking anyone who would listen, the only answer I could come up with is that maybe the cladding bows outward just slightly under the right weather conditions (high temp and humidity). I did some testing and there was no way the cladding has moved toward the fender or is positioned wrong. The only thing that made enough diiference to allow it to hit was pulliing the cladding away from door a little. These pieces are kinda tall and long and I think they are fastened only at the top by double sided tape and at the bottom by screws, so the middle area can be pushed or pulled away from the door. I'm not sure if there is any tape anywhere else to hold it against the door, if not I would def add some if it was replaced.

Yo, sorry to see the damage you have, I feel the pain. Thankfully mine isn't as long as yours, it's about half the size as your break. I was thinking of rounding things off with my little dremel tool to see if that would help. Currently I have to push the cladding down in order for it to clear the fender, so as of now, my truck is only a one door truck. :cry:

The intense morning sun hits the passenger side of the truck all morning long and has since the day I bought it brand new. The weather was very hot (over 90) for 5 days or so, and the humidity was 100% for even more days. So I still think that between the sun, hot temps, and the humidity, they all played a factor.

I did notice that if I apply some pressure to the top center of the cladding, that it does even out and I was then able to open the door without it hitting the fender, so this tells me that the cladding is shrinking and bowing.

Guess I should turn the truck around so it's facing the other direction so the intense morning sun isn't on the passenger side, but if I do that, then I'll end up having problems with the drivers door.

Wish my warranty wasn't up so that I could take it to the dealer to be fixed. Oh well, just the luck I have I guess. :(

That's pretty bad. I just opened my doors and their is NO space to spare if it get's lose alittle it will hit. Here is what a shopping cart did to my cladding :mad: .

P2110215.jpg

:eek: Ouch! I'd probably mame the person who did that if I were in your shoes. :smash:

u can't have an autobody fix it?? how much does it cost to buy a new set or can u even buy the cladding from a dealership???

The dealership will charge you alot of $$$$ just for that piece, best bet is to contact one of the people who are selling the cladding like time2kill and i belive another member had some for sale and see what they quote you.

same thing happened to me...it bowed out on me and got bent. autobody guys wont fix it. gm said its about 416 bucks for the piece and then to paint it probably another 100 or so i would say. 416 bucks for a piece of plastic is pretty high if you ask me though.

dont mean to add a topic but here i thought i was the only one going thru this.i wrecked my truck a month ago.2 weeks after i got it back the cladding came loose took it back to the body shop all they did was put epoxy on it it held for a couple of days now the whole door cladding is loose anyone know of or where i can get good double sided tape