Broke My Cladding

cwest94

Just thought I would make a quick update on what I noticed. This week it was cool outside, between 58 and 65 with hardly any sun at all and guess what??????? The cladding on the door is back to normal now. The only part hitting the fender now is the broken piece that is sticking up but thats it. So I'm conviinced that the direct sun and heat had a part in the movement and warping of the cladding. Sure it will all go back to hell next week when the sun and heat come back.

SInce I can not open the door without having to push on the cladding, do you think it would be easier to just break and grind away the damaged area and forget about how ugly it looks or remove the cladding and try to put it back on with new double sided tape?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to hear of this problem. But my buddy had an 03 ss new till about 8 months ago and he had the same problem. And no resolution either. Traded for 06 SRT10 single cab.

I am fortunate that my 06 SS stays in the garage under the truck cover. But i have wondered if i might have this problem anyway in later years.

Edited by forty4prid (see edit history)

Just thought I would make a quick update on what I noticed. This week it was cool outside, between 58 and 65 with hardly any sun at all and guess what??????? The cladding on the door is back to normal now. The only part hitting the fender now is the broken piece that is sticking up but thats it. So I'm conviinced that the direct sun and heat had a part in the movement and warping of the cladding. Sure it will all go back to hell next week when the sun and heat come back.

SInce I can not open the door without having to push on the cladding, do you think it would be easier to just break and grind away the damaged area and forget about how ugly it looks or remove the cladding and try to put it back on with new double sided tape?

Depending on the extent of the damages the molding can be repaired,One possibility that will cost little to nothing would be to take the wifes blowdryer,and a bucket of cold water with a terry cloth type rag(old towel) and sneek out to the garage.becareful because water and electricity dont mix,that being said,patiently heat up the damaged area by moving in circles winding outward then tighten the circle back in,lightly touch the plastic to feel it hot to the touch but dont get burned,if you heat to much the paint will blister and we dont want that!,good thing the blowdryer will take forever to achive that type of heat,when the damaged area is hot enough remove the blowdryer,and reach in the bucket grab the cold wet towel and place over the damaged area press firmly on the bent piece until temp is cold to touch. You may need to repeat several times,that should get the panel some what back into shape,have had great sucsess with this proceedure myself many times.

Good luck.