Porter Cable 7424

scooter3

Well my fathers day gift to myself arrived yesterday. Porter Cable 7424. I have been wanting one for years. Still waiting for the pads. As soon as they come in, which should be today I am going to tackle my Gemtop tonneau cover. The top came in with lots of swirl marks so I am hoping to get most of them out. Once I master that I am going to practice on the wifes ride, before I hit the truck. :D

If there is anyone out there that has personally used one of these let me know if there is anything I need to know.

i've alwayd paid my detail shop to machine polish my truck,i'm not brave enough to do it myself yet!!, seen a buddy try and messed up real bad, had to have his car resprayed after getting it wrong, my detailer says gently and take your time and it should be OK..

let us know how you get on and with some before and after pictures... Good luck with it hope it all goes well

eamonn

You would have to try to damage your paint with the PC. It is a gentle but effective machine. The most important thing is to choose the correct polish and pads. I would go with the lake country pads. I am not a mequiars fan particulary for their waxes, but they do have some good polishes that you can find at your local car store. There #80 works well with removing minor scratches. When you are polishing you need to work the polish until it is broken down, the polish will turn almost translucent when it has been broken down.

Here is a link to some good information and a video of the PC in use.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

I just watched that whole video, this looks pretty easy I might have to get the stuff and try it out. How much does that 7424 cost???

Got mine for $99 from Tool Plus. With shipping it cost me about $107. The pads cost me another $65. All Lake Country stuff. You can find package deals so do your shopping.

What color pads did you get? and have you decided on a polish?

I got a variety, because I was not sure what type of work I would be doing. I have friends who want me to do some detailing on their cars. Orange, blue, grey and yellow I think. As far as polish I have not decided. Pinnacle or Meguiars. Any recommendations?

http://www.autogeek.net/auto-detailing-resource-center.html

Go to that website above and you can actually watch the person use a PC 7424 on a car and which pads, and compounds, polishes, and glazes they recommend depending on how bad the swirls are.

Quick and good guide for a begginer. Lots of good stuff on this site AUTO GEEK

ive had the saame pc in my garage for over two years and its never even been used , im too lazy and dylan did do some magic but he hasnt been around so i may try my own magic but finding a good spot/time here in ca is hard with the sun from hell.

ive had the saame pc in my garage for over two years and its never even been used , im too lazy and dylan did do some magic but he hasnt been around so i may try my own magic but finding a good spot/time here in ca is hard with the sun from hell.

There are a lot of polishes/sealants that can be applied in the sun. Or are you more concerned about doing manual labor in the heat?

I actually braved the heat early Sunday morning to polish my Gemtop tonneau cover. I never had the opportunity to wax itbefore. The top came out looking great. I used a polish/cleaner/wax combo to clean it up and then a nice wax as a top coat. Came out smooth and shiny in less time and effort then had I done it by hand. Still waiting for my Griot's wax and polish to show up then I am doing the whole truck.

The DA was easy to use and makes the work actually fun. :P