Aluminum 6.0l ?

SIERRA JEFF

THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THIS SITE SO THIS QUESTION MIGHT HAVE ALREADT BEEN AWNSERED BUT I DIDN'T FIND. MY 08 GMC MAX WAS ORDERED WITH A 6.0L BUT MY QUESTION IS THE BLOCK IS ALUMINUM NOT STEEL. WHAT I CAN FIND SAYS THEY OFFERED A 5.3 AND A 6.2 ALUMINUM BUT I CAN'T FIND INFO ON A 6.0L ALUMINUM MOTOR. THE TRUCK IS A CREW CAB 4X4 SLT IF THIS MAKES ANY DIFFERNCE. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPERICATED THANKS

The aluminum block 6.0L was never offered in a truck, only car & TBSS models; if your truck has a "vortec Max" cover on the engine then it's a 6.2L. You lucky dog! Congrats on the new truck :chevy:

Mr. P. :)

ps - welcome to the site, and turn off the caps lock - thx!

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

The L76 Vortec MAX used in the GMT900's is an aluminum block with a 9.6:1 compression ratio and 367 hp. It uses regular fuel and has cylinder deactivation and is based on the Gen III block

mr. p fill us on that a little more. i have an 08 and its for sure an alumium block and its a 6.0. they didnt offer a 6.2 unless you got a denali. they told me no way to order a 6.2 at all. then i hear that for 09 you are gonna be able to get one. and there doing away with with the 4 spd tranny in favor for the 6 spd already found in the 2500's.

sorry about the caps lock. The cover on the motor only reads vortec there is no max lettering on the motor. only on the door and the window sticker. the emision sticker says 6.0L but 2 lines down this is printed " 8gmxto6.2382 " I did look in the glove box and found the L76 in the option sticker. thanks jeff

Edited by SIERRA JEFF (see edit history)

you got the same as i do. i hope your happy with your's. mine is the biggest disappointment i have ever had for all the talk about the max. im gonna wake it up with a custom tune but cant find a dealer that can work on it. got a surge in the engine and dont wanna custom tune it until i get the surge fixed. welcome the the site!!! and hope you enjoy youre new max!!!!

My new V-Max is the best truck I have ever owned, if u really wanna see power out of your truck get a custom tune. A V-Maxes come with the all aluminum L76 6.0L engine, it comes with the 4L70E transmission, and if equipped with the NHT package the extended cab models come with rear disc brakes, if the NHT doesn't come on an extended cab it doesn't have rear disc brakes or if it has Stabilitrak it come with rear disc brakes. A crew cab doesn't have to come with NHT package because they come standard with Stabiltrak which means they have rear disc brakes. My V-Max felt slow but then I tuned it and it was a completely different truck. The 6.2L and 6 speed automatic wasn't available on 07-08 trucks. I heard that on the 2009 it will be available.

Edited by huero626 (see edit history)

The L76 Vortec MAX used in the GMT900's is an aluminum block with a 9.6:1 compression ratio and 367 hp. It uses regular fuel and has cylinder deactivation and is based on the Gen III block

Chase is right, I'm wrong on this one - sorry for the confusion as I did not realize they put the aluminum 6.0 block in the trucks; these motors DO however have the great cylinder heads and are heavily detuned by the factory; clean-up the exhaust ports, install headers, larger injectors & springs/cam and that engine will make serious power.

Mr. P.

ps - if you want to make sure, the factory does cast the "6.0" or "6.2" on the outside of the engine block.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Thanks for the information I will use it while learning what mods the truck will get next. GMCMAN6000 is right with only 3500 miles on the odometer the truck is weak in stock tune. I came from a 96 5.7L with a powerdyne ,a programer , and 3.73 and that truck felt like it would have outrun my new stock one. But know the fun of building another better truck begins, thanks again jeff