What Size Trans Cooler?

O.K. so I'm pulling the trigger on the TBTC and figured while its being installed, I would go ahead and get a trans cooler since its a higher stall. Question is, how large of a cooler should I go? What should the trans temp be after the cooler is installed ? How much am I looking at for a selected size cooler?

BTW, I'm sure this is important, I live in South Florida and it gets into the mid 90's in the day/afternoon when driving. Thanks

The Tru-Cool Max is a great cooler (I have one in my truck) but for a TBTC the next size down will be fine, so a stacked-plate design that measures about 12" x 12" x 1.25" is plenty in that application and several manufacturers make a cooler of that configuration, including Tru-Cool.

Mr. P. :)

so this ????

# 4739

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass

On Special

Tru-Cool # LPD4739-1 cooler plus a # 708-4739 Remote external thermal bypass

40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating

8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch

3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs) info->

or this???

# 4590

Tru-Cool LPD, thick cooler & standard installation kit

Truck & heavy duty to 28,000 GVW

Low pressure drop cooler, 12 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick...info->

so this ????

# 4739

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass

On Special

Tru-Cool # LPD4739-1 cooler plus a # 708-4739 Remote external thermal bypass

40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating

8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch

3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs) info->

or this???

# 4590

Tru-Cool LPD, thick cooler & standard installation kit

Truck & heavy duty to 28,000 GVW

Low pressure drop cooler, 12 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick...info->

Either one will work fine; if you get the Tru-Cool Max, get the one *without* the thermostat/bypass, I ran mine for a while and the trans was never below 190-degrees, I finally threw it away - they sell the Max without the thermostat for like $15-20 savings. For reference the TBTC raises ATF temp 20-25 degrees on the stock cooler, the 12 x 11 one is sufficient for that application however the Tru Cool Max is an awesome unit.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Either one will work fine; if you get the Tru-Cool Max, get the one *without* the thermostat/bypass, I ran mine for a while and the trans was never below 190-degrees, I finally threw it away - they sell the Max without the thermostat for like $15-20 savings. For reference the TBTC raises ATF temp 20-25 degrees on the stock cooler, the 12 x 11 one is sufficient for that application however the Tru Cool Max is an awesome unit.

:withstupid: it sure is. . . .

gotcha! will keep that in mind and not get the thermal switch cuz im in arizona :)

Yeah I lived in all over the valley there - don't screw around, get the Tru Cool Max for desert use.

Mr. P.

Ok, so what numbers do I need for the trans cooler? What GVW, what BTU rating etc? I'm calling my trans guy tomorrow to tell him what I want.

For the TBTC I would recommend the Tru Cool #4590 (28,000 GVW, 24,000 BTU, 12 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick) because the TBTC does not boil the fluid like a looser aftermarket converter; we've also used this cooler with a Yank TT3000 and it was sufficient for that converter too.

For a PI or TCS or Phoenix or (god heaven forbid) a ATI or B&M converter you need the big mama, Tru Cool # 47391 (cheaper, does not have thermostat) it is 8.5" x 22" x 1.25"/40,000 GVW/45,000 BTU.

If you put the larger cooler on a stock converter then your transmission temps will be so cold that you should converter to synthetic ATF so it thins-out and flows correctly below 140-degrees. FWIW my transmission has always shifted fastest and grabbed hardest when at 155-160 degrees.

ps - Dana Tru-Cool Brochure

ALSO - reading the brochure, the smaller Tru-Cool Max units (49211 and 49201) would also be great for use with stock and TBTC and Yank TT applications, but they are probably more expensive than the 4590 stacked-plate unit.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

For the TBTC I would recommend the Tru Cool #4590 (28,000 GVW, 24,000 BTU, 12 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick) because the TBTC does not boil the fluid like a looser aftermarket converter; we've also used this cooler with a Yank TT3000 and it was sufficient for that converter too.

For a PI or TCS or Phoenix or (god heaven forbid) a ATI or B&M converter you need the big mama, Tru Cool # 47391 (cheaper, does not have thermostat) it is 8.5" x 22" x 1.25"/40,000 GVW/45,000 BTU.

If you put the larger cooler on a stock converter then your transmission temps will be so cold that you should converter to synthetic ATF so it thins-out and flows correctly below 140-degrees. FWIW my transmission has always shifted fastest and grabbed hardest when at 155-160 degrees.

ps - Dana Tru-Cool Brochure

Thanks Mr P, helpful as always.

:withstupid: Thats the cooler that I have, the highest I have seen temps go is 180 or so sitting stopped dead in traffic for 1/2 hour on a 100 degree day. Highway temps are usually 115-135, and spirited local driving is usually 140-160. With my PI converter, my trans temps would be 200+ now that summer is here if I were still running the stock cooler. :chevy:

Im also installing a TBTC/shift kit soon. I have not purchased a trans cooler though, I was panning on installing a sythentic fluid in the trans. With the higher temps of the TBTC and synthetic fluid, do you think i'll be ok with the stock cooler with regards to trans temp?

Im also installing a TBTC/shift kit soon. I have not purchased a trans cooler though, I was panning on installing a sythentic fluid in the trans. With the higher temps of the TBTC and synthetic fluid, do you think i'll be ok with the stock cooler with regards to trans temp?

The TBTC will increase ATF temp 20-degrees on the stock cooler, I would not be comfortable with trans temps above 160 but it should be fine on the stock cooler.

The reason for synthetic ATF is not to get better protection at higher temps, rather the reason you use synthetic ATF is because it is thinner and flows better, thus you get improved mileage because of less drag in the transmission and also you can run the transmission much colder (giving improved life) and the ATF still flows properly.

The TBTC will increase ATF temp 20-degrees on the stock cooler, I would not be comfortable with trans temps above 160 but it should be fine on the stock cooler.

The reason for synthetic ATF is not to get better protection at higher temps, rather the reason you use synthetic ATF is because it is thinner and flows better, thus you get improved mileage because of less drag in the transmission and also you can run the transmission much colder (giving improved life) and the ATF still flows properly.

Thanks Mr. P :cheers: Looks like i'll be purchasing a trans cooler just to be safe.