Pistons & Rods Installation

Is there anyone out there who has performed aftermarket piston and rods installation on the LQ9 with the engine in the vehicle?? I was just wondering about this? I am about to install radix, heads, cam, lifters, rockers, basically a new top end. Since the heads are being upgraded we thought why not upgrade the pistons and rods at this point. I know the pistons and rods can be extracted by using a ridge reamer if there is a ridge atop the cylinder walls and by removing the oil pan and pump assembly to access the crank. Just wondering how difficult is this approach for piston and rod upgrade??

I was concerned mostly about honing out the cylinder walls to accommodate new rings, not getting metal debris on the crank.. I can just as easily yank the motor in my shop but was curious if anyone has ever done the job with the motor in the truck.. If it can be done I would like to hear about it. Mostly about getting a bottle brush hone in the rear section of the block to acheive a good crosshatching and then cleanup of any metal debris..

Thanks for your replies...

The truck is very service friendly, the bottom frame crossmember comes out and once you have the heads off there is *lots* of working room. That said, I would just take the extra 2-hr and R&R the motor so you're not climbing/scratching all over the fenders plus you can give it a proper hone at a machine shop. Yes you are *very* smart to install a piston & ring upgrade, the rods are ok but you also need to install aftermarket rod bolts, they are weak.

Mr. P. :)