Anyone Had Experience With Dodge 4.7

A friend of a friend is wanting me to look at, and possibly fix, his Dodge. 2003 1500 Ram, 4.7 with about 100K miles. Had it serviced at the dealer, picked it up, and got a few miles away when the oil gauge dropped to zero, and it started rattling. Oil pump went out, and they're claiming that it is because of sludge in the engine, and they are telling him it needs an engine. Because of the sludge they are not covering it under the powertrain warranty. Doing some searching on Google, this seems to be a common issue with the 4.7. Has anyone had, or know anyone that has, any experience with these?

Had it serviced at the dealer, picked it up, and got a few miles away when the oil gauge dropped to zero, and it started rattling. Oil pump went out, and they're claiming that it is because of sludge in the engine, and they are telling him it needs an engine. Because of the sludge they are not covering it under the powertrain warranty.

Sounds to me like maybe they didn't re-fill the crank case with fresh oil. I call :icon_bs: on this, they just serviced it a few minutes prior, I believe it is related to what the dealer did. The dealer should eat this repair.