Oil Change

mobil one fully synthetic ftw. my buddy used to race snocross. he was sponsored by arctic cat. he was really good and a sick sled. and only used and still only uses amsoil. and swears by it. so idk. i hear all the oil in the US comes from 2 or 3 main oil plants and there is only one company that uses 100 percent pure "new" oil. i think he said it was castrol? idk

Have your oil tested! Blackstone Laboratories Then you'll know if you are changing it at the proper intervals or not, it might surprise you.

Here's a couple of examples I have concerning oil:

1. My brother is not a car nut by any means, a car or pickup is just a mode of transportation or a tool. He had a 90's S-10 pickup with the V6 & manual transmission. The S-10 was not just a highway queen either, he used it for hauling, camping, hunting, etc. He said he changed the oil whenever he had time. He said sometimes he went 10k or more on an oil change. When he decided to get a new pickup the S10 had 240k+ miles on it and still ran fine with normal oil consumption. Other than tires he said the only thing he had to replace was a starter. (not bad for an American Made Vehicle!)

2. The police department I work for had a 94 Chevy Caprice with the LT1 engine. This was not a police package car but it had the tow package. (Chief bought it mid year after his Dodge Dynasty left him stranded one to many times) The chief drove this car for about 2 years and after he retired we put it into regular service as a marked patrol car. Everyone liked driving it because of its power. Our Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC) instructors would use this car for instruction as well. It got the crap ran out of it almost on a daily basis. When it was surplussed it had around 135k on it and it did not use enough oil between 3000 mile oil changes to need any added and it still ran like a scalded dog!

The oil used in both of the above examples was regular oil; not synthetic or Amsoil, the police car got Quaker State, and who knows what my brother used, he probably used what ever oil was the cheapest.

In my SS I go by the OLM (oil life monitor) only difference is I use Mobil 1 5-30 Synthetic. The owners manual says "Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the GM Oil Life SystemTM (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first)". Going by the OLM I change my oil once a year and with my driving style that equates to about 7500 miles. The OLM was designed for non-synthetic oil so I figure I am getting way more than enough protection. If you want to overdose on oil information, go visit Bob Is The Oil Guy web site.

Hmm, come to think of it, I changed my oil every 3k when got my first car 38 years ago, I wonder if oil & engine building technology has changed in that time?

Just my thoughts........

:withstupid:

Sprayed, you must work for Jiffy Lube :smash: Or, IMO, you like to waste money.

I am just speeking from experience, my SS has 107,000 miles and it still runs just as strong as when I bought it new.

okay man I guess I like to waste money, but I tell you what when you start writing checks for my bills then you can bitch LOL J/K. I dont drive my TBSS it has 5800 miles on it and it just turned a year old in may. I change it every 60 days to prevent condensation build up which is common in vehicles that sit. Also our family has had a few bowties go over 500K and changed them every 60days or 3K.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

okay man I guess I like to waste money, but I tell you what when you start writing checks for my bills then you can bitch LOL J/K. I dont drive my TBSS it has 5800 miles on it and it just turned a year old in may. I change it every 60 days to prevent condensation build up which is common in vehicles that sit. Also our family has had a few bowties go over 500K and changed them every 60days or 3K.

Yeah, my truck NEVER sits so there isnt a chance for condensation. I drive way too much, lol.

You GOTTA know your oil products. AMSOil thickens as the miles pile on, at 6000-7000 miles it is in fact an entire grade thicker than when it began. Other than that fact, it's a great product but I would not run it tens of thousands of miles even with their filtration system.

I have played quite a bit with oil in the truck, and what I find is THE most important factor is THE FILTER specifically the anti-drainback valve; for this reason use a Mobile1, Purolator, or K&N, or (in a pinch) Wix filter (never never never Fram).

The other advantage to the Mobile1 and Purolator filters is that they are a very dense filter, but the tradeoff is that you have to run very thin oil through them to maintain good oil flow; since these motors are made specifically for light-weight synthetic oils it's a match made in heaven. I run Mobil1 0W-30, change every 4000-miles, and still get 80+ psi at 6000-rpm. Love it!

However remember that with motors having different piston or bearing clearances your oil weight/formulation will have to be adjusted. Also, with high-boost FI applications (over 8-psi) you may also have to step up to an oil with a bit more 'body' to it, like Mobile1 0W-40.

Mr. P. :)

You GOTTA know your oil products. AMSOil thickens as the miles pile on, at 6000-7000 miles it is in fact an entire grade thicker than when it began. Other than that fact, it's a great product but I would not run it tens of thousands of miles even with their filtration system.

I have played quite a bit with oil in the truck, and what I find is THE most important factor is THE FILTER specifically the anti-drainback valve; for this reason use a Mobile1, Purolator, or K&N, or (in a pinch) Wix filter (never never never Fram).

The other advantage to the Mobile1 and Purolator filters is that they are a very dense filter, but the tradeoff is that you have to run very thin oil through them to maintain good oil flow; since these motors are made specifically for light-weight synthetic oils it's a match made in heaven. I run Mobil1 0W-30, change every 4000-miles, and still get 80+ psi at 6000-rpm. Love it!

However remember that with motors having different piston or bearing clearances your oil weight/formulation will have to be adjusted. Also, with high-boost FI applications (over 8-psi) you may also have to step up to an oil with a bit more 'body' to it, like Mobile1 0W-40.

Mr. P. :)

did Mobil move to Alabama? :dunno:

:jester:

can you tell I'm bored today?

Edited by KJT13 (see edit history)

I've run Castol for years with an AC/Delco filter. I started using Syntec in the truck shortly after I bought it, and changing it every 6000 miles with no issues.

I'm thinking of using the same set up. How many miles are on your truck?

Changed my oil today (last change was late FEB) and oil still looked good, next time ima run it around 5k.

On a side note: Last time i changed the oil i was pulled over, and today again lol. funny thing is the officers last name was lightfoot. btw 9 miles over the limit ftl.

Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)