R/c Cars Or Trucks

scooter3

I have been wanting to buy a nice R/C car or truck for a while now and have been digging through magazines, but there are so many out there that I don't know what a good "starter" car would be. Does anyone out there do this kind of thing?

I would like to know what a good one would be to get for a novice. :confused:

Depends on what you want and how much money you have to spend. I went the monster truck route and bought an HPI Savgage 21. It cost me $400 4 years ago and it is fun as hell. This truck is pretty damn tuff. If you want to beat it up and jump stuff then go with a gas powered truck or buggie for sure!

I don't want to go crazy. I have seen some for about $250, but I want something I can take and beat the dog piss out of without breaking it. There is a lot of open desert out by my house so I figured a nice buggy or low profile truck would be cool. I have heard pros and cons on the gas ones. I was looking more for battery ones.

I used to race the electric ones all around New England. I was sponsored by a store that I used to work at. That was almost 20 yrs ago now. I raced everything from oval, to off-road, indoors, outdoors. I sold everything off when I got a real car. It was alot of fun and yes, the mod bug hits there too cuz you want to go faster.

best thing to do is to go to a hobby store and talk to them. they will steer you in the direction you want to go in. alot of times they have some good used ones and used controllers too.

I have been looking at the ones from Traxxas... Been thinking about buying one for a while but just haven't ponied up yet.

The thing that sold me on buying one was watching some guy on a Honda crotch-rocket get his *ss handed to him by a little gas r/c buggy. It 0-80mph'ed in like 2.5 seconds. They're crazy little things... The videos of the r/c cars on YouTube are pretty sweet too.

I've got the Traxxas JATO with the 2.5 engine. This was my first R/C car, let me tell you...except for the pavement I can hardly control the damn thing. It is seriously fast, out of the box it'll do 60mph. Some negs for me are the engine tends to get hot rather quick (not good for these little guys), super easy to break (cuz they are so fast), gas is like $25 per gal.

My father in law has several battery powered R/C's, I would consider one of those. The batteries have come a long way... :cheers:

about 6 years ago i was HEAVILY into RC racing... I had a bunch of sponsors... that sounds familiar... anyways i raced an HPI Savage 21 and on weekends i did tuning on these trucks at a local hobby store, may favorite engine at the time was a hyper 21, which had so much compression that they used to include an extra pull start with every engine as they would constantly break...

here are a couple of pictures of my trucks... notice my company logo on the top of the suburban BTI...

savage_a.jpg

savage_d.jpg

then i had a prom queen full billet hummer that took me 4 months to build, and the DAY it was finished I sold to a guy for $2600 bucks...

chrome_1a.jpg

chrome_3a.jpg

chrome_4a.jpg

just understand - parts BREAK... get ready to mod that sucker out too... this is NOT an inexpensive sport, even if you only drop $300 bucks on a kit, within a month or two you will be into it for at least double if not triple... you can count on it...

thats why i got out of the sport... too many broken parts...

Wow! Thanks guys. That is a lot to think about now. I have so much open desert around me that I thought it would be cool to just get one and have some fun on the weekends. There is a track at a local drag strip that races these things that I have checked out, that is what got me so interested. I would just hate to start "another" project that I am going to have to dump money into just like the SS. :jester: There is a shop close by that sales them so I will check them out.

Thanks again! :cheers:

about 6 years ago i was HEAVILY into RC racing... I had a bunch of sponsors... that sounds familiar... anyways i raced an HPI Savage 21 and on weekends i did tuning on these trucks at a local hobby store, may favorite engine at the time was a hyper 21, which had so much compression that they used to include an extra pull start with every engine as they would constantly break...

here are a couple of pictures of my trucks... notice my company logo on the top of the suburban BTI...

savage_a.jpg

savage_d.jpg

then i had a prom queen full billet hummer that took me 4 months to build, and the DAY it was finished I sold to a guy for $2600 bucks...

chrome_1a.jpg

chrome_3a.jpg

chrome_4a.jpg

just understand - parts BREAK... get ready to mod that sucker out too... this is NOT an inexpensive sport, even if you only drop $300 bucks on a kit, within a month or two you will be into it for at least double if not triple... you can count on it...

thats why i got out of the sport... too many broken parts...

Hey I was wondering if you have any wheels and tires you want to sell. I need Hex hubs 2.