Proud New Owner Of 2003 Silverado Ss. *pics*

mattmcd

Bought my Silverado Tuesday evening. Open to suggestions on what I should do/not do to it. Wanting to keep the exterior pretty much the way it is, except for the bed, which I will eventually put a rhino liner in, and do something with the bed cover. Open to suggestions for performance modifications though. Not too fond of going forced induction JUST yet. But open to exhaust/intake mods, and i've heard good things about diablosport programmers. let me know what you think guys.

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

nice looking pickup! welcome to the site!

as far as perf mods go... the two top intakes are Volant and Outlaw (outlaw is ugly but performs better and the volant runs a close second in performance, but looks 10x better IMO.)

Exhaust is more of a preference thing. Many people here are big fans of the Corsa Sport exhuast, they are a little spendy but they sure do sound great. One thing your truck will benifit greatly from is a set of long tube headers. Many people are running the Pacesetter L/T's.

The Diablo sport and the other handheld tuner's are okay, but if you really want a solid tune i would recommend gettting a mail order custom tune, or investing in HP tuners or a similar tuning/logging software.

Good luck

Edited by montanass (see edit history)

Welcome to site! Good looking machine you found yourself there!

There have been several topics on every kind of modification for these trucks... The top several are of course: performance tunes, intake, exhaust, 160* thermostat, and so on. Anytime you're wondering about these mods, do a search and you'll find an abundance of information on them!

:thumbs:

Not a bad looking truck you got there.

A few suggestions for you just imo.

1. The grill emblem looks kinda out of place to me cuz of the flames but if thats what you like then cool but if not you may want to look into a shopman1 ss grill emblem. he makes cnc emblems with SS in the middle that can be red to match your truck. just a suggestion

2. If you like having the bug shield on there for protection maybe think about a 3M clear bra or maybe a leather hood bra that might look a lil better

3. as far as performance if you don't want to do forced induction right now the obvious ones would be intake and exhaust like you said. Intakes everyone here probably has one of everything so if your thinking of one in particular ask or search and you'll find what your looking for. As far as exhaust there are alot of choices here and everyone here likes one or the other. The most common 3 that you will find here will be CORSA which is a little pricey but they have a really good sound to them and look great. If you wanna go custom you can go MAGNAFLOW or BORLA. I have borla myself and like it although sometimes I wish it was louder. You can find many clips on youtube or streetfire.net of SS Silverados with exhaust to see which one you like. If you like it quiet but want it loud sometimes you can look into some cutouts. As far as a tune you can get the pcm custom tuned which is the best option. There are many guys here who can tune and maybe even someone in your area. To name a few youve got zippy, go wheatley and there are a few others that I can't think of right now but I have a zippy tune and it makes you fall in love with your truck all over again just like the day you test drove it. If you need any info on anything specific you can search or ask and these guys will help you.

nice truck, congrats and welcome to the site! :cheers:

A few suggestions:

CAI - K&N, AEM, and Volant are all great, you will not find an Outlaw, they are out of business.

Exhaust - Corsa, Magnaflow, and Borla are the popular ones around here.

Tuning - PLEASE DO NOT BUY A HANDHELD PROGRAMMER! Handhelds provide a very generic tune and are not worth the cost....you can get a quality custom tune from Wheatley or Zippy for the same cost or less and get more bang for your buck.

My only appearance suggestion would be to ditch the bug shield.

:chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

always good to see another great looking victory red SSS. like the others said get the mail order tune, it will really wake up your truck. it may not be popular but I prefer flowmaster exhaust. IMO just find an exhaust setup that has the right sound for you.

beautiful truck....good luck with the modding....all the above posts said it all...just ask questions or use the search button before you mod..there is plenty of people here to help guide you and plenty has been posted about positives/negatives of mods....you will be spending lots of time on here as i do!! haha enjoy!!

My suggestion is you can sell me that bed cover thats the one i want :D

But first thing you should do is a CAI, then a catback, then 160 stat and custom tune. It will really wake up the SS and help with the $5 gas prices. make sure you do the 160 stat and the tune at the same time or you truck will run like crap

most of the guys have already started to steer you in the right direction. all I can add is congrats on the new truck and welcome to the site man! nice to see some other colors are showing up more and more.

Nice truck man, and welcome. You will learn alot from these guys. Did you know that red is the fastest color? Some of the other guys will disagree though, but we know better. Let the modding begin :laugh: BTW, Corsa Sport is the way to go on the muffler. Just my .02

Smoke'm

Thanks for the replies guys. The bug guard is definatley going to go. I never liked the thing anyway. Looks like first i'm going to look for a CAI for it, but i'm a little afraid of messing with the exhaust right now. I really like the sound of it stock. If anything I think the exhaust should exit in front of the rear tire instead of behind it. Then i'll find a 160 thermo, and find these zippy or wheatley guys for a good tune. Only thing that sucks is having to wait for my PCM to come back after sending it off :(. Surely it'll be worth the wait though :).