Stalling Issue, Anyone Help?

rconn14

My 2004 SS seems to have quite an issue with its idle and stalling out. It chugs very low and fluxuates between maybe 400-700 rpm at times and when I am driving at idle speeds down say a dirt road or backing up out of my driveway onto a hill the truck will stall if i am not giving it a sufficient amount of throttle, and even then when shifting into drive it may stall out. I am afraid that one of these days ill be doing 20-25 around a corner with little throttle and the truck will stall and thus cutting my power steering and causing an accident. My battery seems to die quite quickly as well, say after 2-3 days of sitting, and i had it replaced a few months ago after the last one did the same thing. Could the stalling be an alternator issue? or something deeper in the engine like the injectors or something? I really have no idea and when i tried to replicate the issue at the dealer, of course it was working properly. It is a random thing that will happen almost every time the truck is cold and it still occurs, albeit less frequently, after the truck has been warmed up. If anyone has any insight into it please let me know! It is very frustrating. I am running an amplifier and subwoofer as well as an aftermarket in dash navi unit, along with a sirius and a remote start/alarm system and hideaway strobes. I figure the strobes and remote start dont draw much if any power when running and that leaves me with a 12 volt sirius and a regular sound system upgrade which i dont imagine would put a big load on anything. Can anyone help? Thank you!

I think you hit the nail on the head, sounds like your alternator is on the way out. While your at it, clean your MAF sensor too. :chevy:

:withstupid: sounds like alternator to me. take it down to auto zone and they will check it for you while stll on the truck. If it is bad upgrade to a lrger alternator the sound and alrm put a big load on the electrical system on this trucks.

Alright my reply might sound a bit crazy but i will just tell you.. the same thing was happening to me pretty often, my truck is completely stock, it would stall out on me just like it does you. I cleaned the MAF, checked the battery and alternator, took it to the dealer (couldnt figure it out). then one day i come into work not noticing anything, come out at lunch and there is a lake of coolant under the truck. water pump went out. so i replaced the water pump and it hasnt died on me since. i dont know if that was the cause of it or anything but lol it has worked for me :dunno:

sounds like an alternator issue to me. Mine is going out also and the truck wants to stall at times and the idle drops pretty low. i've got the 145 GM alternator ready to go on as soon as I can get the belt size figure out.

sounds like an alternator issue to me. Mine is going out also and the truck wants to stall at times and the idle drops pretty low. i've got the 145 GM alternator ready to go on as soon as I can get the belt size figure out.

:withstupid:

I was having that problem with my old S-10 when I had it. It started a little after I put in a sound system and it must have been the alternator because once I replaced it my truck never had that problem again the rest of the time I had it. I also upgraded my battery.

Despite what the dealership said, it sounds like your alternator. I’m not saying the dealership is wrong but it never hurts to check it the old fashion way. The quick & easy test for your alt; take it off and spin the pulley. If it spins freely/excessively, then it’s bad. You might also want to think of installing a power cap for your amp depending on your system. Good luck.