Here It Is, Laying It Out There. My Motor Blew Up!

fast4popper

Below you will see some things that are in a post and some conflicts that i have to address. I am simply gonna state the facts, you all can make your own decisions. again these are the facts of something that happened to me, my truck, my brother, his car and my buddys TBSS. there was one person at the controls of all of these things. so here they are, the FACTS as i was put through them

The ONLY tuning I/We did on Chris's truck was to pull timing OUT so that he could drive the damn thing without going into 6-8* of spark knock in cruise cells and on tip in. The main tune was done prior to that by Frank when Frank installed his SC. Chris' truck had spark knock all over the place. We pulled timing out so that Chris could drive it at cruise on the interstate without spark knock and get with Frank and send him log files so that FRANK could tune it again. Frank said he liked where we were going with the tune... I didn't, because the spark maps were STILL higher than stock on a FI vehicle. First time I've ever seen that much spark on FI, but it wasn't mine to toy with. I never worked on his tune again and his truck downshfted when it wasn't supposed to and threw a rod a few weeks later.

the above is something that was said in a reply to Allballz57 from SS_bnoon_SS. this pertains to my SS and some events that happened last year. here is what happened.

I was in the market for more power, posted on the forum and ran into Frank at Revolution Raceworks. he lead me in the direction of a P1SC Procharger. we agreed on a price and i drove to Chicago for the install. I left frank the keys and my truck as he rented me a car for the weekend. 2 days later i returned and was thoroughly impressed with the outcome. the first thing Frank told me is i NEEDED headers. on the way back to Des Moines and for about 2 weeks the truck ran EXTREMELY strong. i was like a 2 peckered billy goat, totally happy with my purchase and fully aware that i had a few degrees of KR. In talking with Brad (aka SS_bnoon_SS) he informed me that he could tune out the KR for me. this is where i have to be honest. a few months prior to this, Brad, myself and my brother split the cost of an HPTuners set up so we could all play. I didnt know ANYTHING about tuning, but figured this was a great start to learn. so with HPtuners in hand brad worked his magic on my now Procharged SS. I will admit, the KR was nearly gone according to my ear and the logs on the tuner that he did. after myself and my buddy Matt were riding home, he noticed something just didnt sound "normal" but i passed it off as just a new sound with the new tune and the blower working properly. That same night, i went out with a buddy of mine for a night cap, on my way home i was jamming out to some tunes and was about to miss my exit ramp so i pushed the gas down, maybe 60% to get ahead of the car infront of me. let me tell you, my truck downshifted and the thing pulled like an SOB and then BOOOM! 7th piston out the side of the block. I immediatly called Frank, it was 2 in the morning yet he answered. he knew right away what happened. Frank wasnt pissed, he was there thru the whole ordeal. shit he even helped me find my new bottom end, had a cam designed for my truck and even got in touch and led me to Zippy who helped me even further along to get my SS where it is today...

Again, Brian's car we did a similar thing and pulled spark so that it would stay out of spark knock on a street tune, then met later to try to get the fueling close enough on the dyno that he could send logs out for someone to make a good initial tune from. Brian's fuel was all over the place because he installed an FMU that was still configured for stock LS1 injectors, PLUS 42# injectors!!! His A/F ratio was in the 9:1 area on a first partial pull to 4000 rpm or so, puking black smoke. Something wasn't right on that motor combination as it only laid down HP/TQ numbers that it was when it was NA. We leaned it out by 1% and made another partial run and it nosed over at 5,000 or so RPM if I remember right... It still had 10:1 A/F, which anyone will tell you is still waaaaaaay rich, but totally took a crap on one piston. Never got to make a full pull.

above is the part of the reply that Brad had to Brent (aka Allballz57) about my brothers car. Brian is his name.

My bro decided to see what he could do with his 02 WS6 and forced induction. he installed the supercharger kit himself and off to the dyno he went. i dont know timeline too well but here is what i do know. Brian called me and told me he had dyno time for early one morning and asked if i would like to go. i never been to one so what the heck, i loaded up the car my bro loaned me cause my truck was dead from the mishap less than 2 weeks before. again my bro knows nothing about tuning. neither one of us pretended too, we trusted that our 3rd party in our investment would help us out. i watched a warm up pull from the dyno and hung out for a few minutes, but since i was on the clock i had to get back to work. work was 4 exits from the dyno and on my way back i no sooner was at work and Brad called and told me my brother needed his loaner car back as his car just died on the dyno. niether one of them knew what happened. upon further tear one of the pistons rolled the top over and the motor backfired in the oil pan.

so thats 2 motors in 2 weeks gone. only one person was at the controls of the HP tuners when my brothers car went down, and the last person to touch my truck before it went down was the same one at the was controlling my brothers motor. we both sent our PCM's off to Frank as well as one of his friends that i will not name on here as he prolly doesnt want to get involved and the files were pulled. both of these seasoned tuners were pissed at what was in the PCM's and could not believe what they saw. While as you all know and can relate, both my bro and i were a lil pissed. but what could we do? not a damn thing so the rebuilds started, he went the crate motor route as well as a killer cam and Frank talked me into not sellin my blower and building a badass motor to compliment it. I will say that between my brother and my motors there is roughly 12 to 14 grand under our combined hoods. not bad money as we both got phenominal deals and Frank helped us out with his costs on things as well as our new initial tunes as well as my machining work and he even went so far as to stop in Des Moines on one of his trips to see how the build was going.

Also, NEVER tuned a TBSS. Ever. Someone's been feeding you stories. I ported a throttle body for that friend of Chris's though. By the time I worked on it, he had already had it tuned by a handheld and cooked a few trannies, so we couldn't tell if it was the TB initially. It ended up being a bad TPS and he replaced the TB with a new stock one, then blew another tranny, then sold the vehicle. I offered to refund his money on the ported TB and he said don't worry about it, it was gone and someone else's problem now.

the above is another part of the reply to brent from Brad.

you are right Brad, you never did tune my buddies TBSS. you did however port his throttle body. he did have it programmed by a handheld and did burn thru a tranny. just about all of them TBSS' went thru trannys, then he put it back to stock on the handheld. after this, the 2nd and 3rd transmission failures were from a throttle body code that showed over 20% open at idle, which in turn led the tranny to slip. once the throttle body was replaced, the truck as not gone thru a tranny since, Casey knows this as his boss has been driving it flawlessly since.

All in all, we have gotten over it, we cant prove what happened with my brother or my motors. its all finger pointing. as i stated, i dont know shit about tuning motors. Brad, you have to say, i didnt hold a grudge, shit i did alarm work on your SS and charged you next to nothing even after i had my gut feeling as to what happened. I aint mad, i aint pissed. actually it was a blessing in disguise. my truck is strong as ever, runs crazy fast enough for me, and will NEVER be touched in the PCM again by anyone except Zippy or Frank. shit i even GAVE you my old blown up hole in the side LQ9 block so you could mock up your L92 setup!!

In the post and confrontations between you and Brent, he mentions he prolly wouldnt care if you had stood up and maybe admitted what you had a hand in doing, well its too late, and its pretty obvious you feel totally not responsible. thats fine, again we will see each other around town, we will chat at Porky's and i am sure it will never come up again, but just so you know, its been in my head since March 19th 2007. thats the day my motor literally FLEW apart.

you all can make your judgements, you all can make your posts and quite honestly, i prolly wont reply to this unless i am directly called out, or called a liar. I think ALL of you know that things i could have done, and trust me i thought about them, but karma comes back around and somehow someway, SOMEONE went thru 3 transmissions on a virtually STOCK SS in less than 6 months with only one tuner at the controls... you make the call

-C- :P

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOMEONE went thru 3 transmissions on a virtually STOCK SS in less than 6 months with only one tuner at the controls... you make the call

-C- :P

Funny way to end your story because that is the first thing that entered my mind Chris!

Unbeivable that you could hold that in for so long. You are a good person and you are 100% correct about Karma!

I think I remember something about this. Frank & Zippy are great people to work with. Frank got me my blower and setup and Zippy tuned it and now I'm running 12's on a 3.0 pulley + bolt-ons with lots or room to go faster :devil: . I know there is more in this truck, I just have to do my part and add new parts lol.

12 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

12 Members: hot rod truck, ccc_23, sui generis, brobradh77, SSThunder, cwest94, allballz57, fast4popper, ItsJac, Sneakystiffler21, Buyfire, Black2003SS

reading this topic..lol wow you got everyones attention...man thats a tough to swallow..your a bigger man than me ...if I had proof of that I couldnt let it go...but your right you have a bad ass set up now

that's a whole lot to keep in for as long as you did Chris. I would have exploded and completely written the guy off long ago. I'm impressed with how you've been taking the high road. As you said, its done, what can you do?

Karma does work in strange ways...

that's a whole lot to keep in for as long as you did Chris. I would have exploded and completely written the guy off long ago. I'm impressed with how you've been taking the high road. As you said, its done, what can you do?

Karma does work in strange ways...

:withstupid:

Chris, gotta give you props for the way you've handle this :thumbs:

Glad that everything has worked out for the best