Here It Is, Laying It Out There. My Motor Blew Up!

fast4popper

Things like this stop me from trying to tune my SS. I got the software and want to learn but would rather not f$%k something up that will cost me lots of $$$$$. I could not image ever tuning another persons ss unless I had many tuning classes and some type of certification.

Yeah but remember you have to start/learn somewhere, as long as you undersand the fundimentals of tuning (spark/fuel/VE. . .) you should be at a good starting point :chevy:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but remember you have to start/learn somewhere, as long as you undersand the fundimentals of tuning (spark/fuel/VE. . .) you should be at a good starting point :chevy:

Yeah that's what the guy who tuned it thought & see what happened....

• 2 months later...

Wow, I never knew this thread even happened or knew Chris felt this way about my tunes. I never claimed to be a tuner and only knew the basics. The plan for both Chris and Brian was to make a few changes to remove spark and to send logs off for Frank to email new tunes. That was it!

The tune in Chris' truck was a Frank tune from when Frank installed his supercharger. What I modified was REMOVING spark from "tip-in" cruise cells so that Chris could drive the thing without spark retard and knock on the highway. No WOT was being done AT ALL!!! NONE!!! No shift speeds, no throttle settings, nothing else. All WOT/VE/Spark was as Frank had set it. Frank even made mention that he liked the direction I was going to remove knock. The next tunes were supposed to be emailed from Frank to make more changes and to my knowledge that may or may not have happened prior to the blow up.

Brian's car blew up on the 2nd full pull on the dyno. We pulled timing out all over the place trying to make it avoid KR, removed .5% of fuel out at 6000 RPM (because it went waaaaaaay fat to 9:1) and it blew up at 4500. It never went lean, never hit KR, never got a chance to really make any adjustments. He had installed an FMU (made for pumping up pressure to the stock injectors) plus had installed 42# injectors! Fueling was all over the place and I told Brian that I thought the FMU was a mistake. It obviously was.

The transmissions in my truck were not the fault of a tune. The stock trans lasted 66,000 miles, about 43K of that without any TQ management what so ever from a PCMFORLESS tune minus some timing. The junkyard trans had a blockage of oil to the rear output shaft bearing, which cooked it and broke a couple of hard parts. The third trans is not in danger of going out, it mearly broke an accumulator and shifts hard going into second on a transmission that has a modified pump for higher pressure on a stock trans tune.

I'm sorry Chris that you felt this way to post something like this once I sold my SS. My reply is not to argue with you because you and Brian feel bad about what happened, nor to reopen old wounds... rather, I just had to post my side again to what I believe happened. You did do good work on my truck and for a more than reasonable price and I appreciated it. I simply can not believe that you held this in for that long if that's the way you truly feel. We were friends, at least I thought we were, and you never said anything about it. I could have helped you both work on your car/truck along the way, even if I never touched your tunes again. I still know how to spin wrenches and fetch beers/tools... Now I know why I wasn't ever invited to the GTG's. See you around.

By the way, the guy that owns my truck now needs a new remote for the alarm he thinks (stops working sometimes). I'm sending him your way Chris. I saw him at Elite and I told him he needed to come see you and your truck and that he would never go to Elite again.

I see a lot of people jumping the gun on this one and from what I can tell "bnoon" didn't actually tune any of these motors that blew up and was simply trying to help correct problems that were already happening. I know it would be easier to just point the finger at the last person with their hand in the cookie jar but it sounds like there were only crumbs left when he got their anyway...

This whole situation makes me feel better about all the reading I've been doing into HP Tuners since I've had it available to me for a few weeks now but have yet to touch my truck. I don't want to be another told-you-so story.

I see a lot of people jumping the gun on this one and from what I can tell "bnoon" didn't actually tune any of these motors that blew up and was simply trying to help correct problems that were already happening. I know it would be easier to just point the finger at the last person with their hand in the cookie jar but it sounds like there were only crumbs left when he got their anyway...

This whole situation makes me feel better about all the reading I've been doing into HP Tuners since I've had it available to me for a few weeks now but have yet to touch my truck. I don't want to be another told-you-so story.

That's a good way to get started and exactly what I did for a couple of months before making any major changes to my truck too. I had an advantage of starting out with a PCM4LESS tune (he doesn't lock them) so all I had to do was pull a few degrees of timing in cruise cells (knock was all over the place even on 93 octane). Even if a question has been asked several times, ask again on here and on HPT forums as methods change over time and you may have read an outdated method from the archives. Good luck!

For those asking to see tunes, I'm looking into my database backups to see if I can find Chris's tunes. I've reimaged my laptop a couple of times since then, but I think I still have them somewhere. His brother's tunes I do not have since we never used my laptop on that one (used his bro's girlfriend's laptop).

...and to those that emailed me, no, I never charged for a tune to either of them. Chris and Brian split the purchase of the HPT 3 ways with me (I bought some extra licenses myself) and we were sharing. I've not seen the tuner since just after the failure of Brian's car and ended up buying my own HPTuner. The cost of not being blamed for their failures I guess. The plan with Chris's truck was explained, pull timing and get logs to Frank. With Brian's car, the plan was to make 2 or 3 "half passes" and make any needed spark/fuel changes if it went lean or had a KR, then make 2 or 3 full pulls and get the logs to someone to make a full tune. His car never went lean (was running 9:1 with the sniffer at the TAIL PIPE with full cats! That's SUPER fat fueling. The car blew a piston about 4000-4500 RPM on the second run. I never claimed to be a professional tuner, especially with FI, and only know the basics of pulling spark where it knocks, remove TM, and how to run E85 (long after we tuned their vehicles).

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)