At&t(cingular) Vs Verizon

NashSS

Right now i'm currently with at&t/cingular and haven't had any problems with them but my contract is expiring next month and i'm thinking of switching to verizon because I wanna try someone new and with at&t i don't get very good reception at work or when I go out with friends. Just wanting to see who here has verizon and your likes/dislikes and the same for at&t so I can see if I should stay with at&t or switch to verizon.

here's alittle inside view. If you live in a state where Verizon provides landlines, you will get better service than a state where Verizon does not. Verizon owns the local plant and most cities and towns will have a central office, so it is alot easier to put up cell sites and cell towers anywhere within their region than say AT&T where they have to lease the lines from Verizon or whomever the local land based provider is to fire up their cell sites/towers. In areas where Verizon isn't a local provider, they have to lease lines. Even though the phones are wireless, the sites are fed by highspeed data circuits (T1's) to function.

You also have to take into consideration the terrain where you live. Some areas just won't get good service no matter the provider. Same with buildings. Even some neighborhoods will be stronger/weaker than others.

My advice would be to check with any friends that may have Verizon and ask them. Here, Vz has the best service in my mind. I've had Sprint, Nextel (before the merger), Vz, and Cingular and none of them hold a candle to Vz in my mind. I'm not just saying that as a Vz employee. Vz wireless is completely separate and I get nothing thru them . I wouldn't go thru them if I didn't think they were superior to everyone else. But like I said, depends on where you live.

here's alittle inside view. If you live in a state where Verizon provides landlines, you will get better service than a state where Verizon does not. Verizon owns the local plant and most cities and towns will have a central office, so it is alot easier to put up cell sites and cell towers anywhere within their region than say AT&T where they have to lease the lines from Verizon or whomever the local land based provider is to fire up their cell sites/towers. In areas where Verizon isn't a local provider, they have to lease lines. Even though the phones are wireless, the sites are fed by highspeed data circuits (T1's) to function.

You also have to take into consideration the terrain where you live. Some areas just won't get good service no matter the provider. Same with buildings. Even some neighborhoods will be stronger/weaker than others.

My advice would be to check with any friends that may have Verizon and ask them. Here, Vz has the best service in my mind. I've had Sprint, Nextel (before the merger), Vz, and Cingular and none of them hold a candle to Vz in my mind. I'm not just saying that as a Vz employee. Vz wireless is completely separate and I get nothing thru them . I wouldn't go thru them if I didn't think they were superior to everyone else. But like I said, depends on where you live.

:withstupid: Most areas here have AT&T for local service, so they own the towers. I've had AT&T cell service for 12 years, and have had no major issues. The home base is very large, ect. Like Keith said, it all depends on your area.

Good info. I alwasy thought it was weird that I'm in the middle of a big city(for KY anyway) and inside my apartment, service sucks. Wonder what's in this place that causes my reception to suck(metal beams?) :jester:

thanks for the input. I just want to try someone new and verizon seems to be the best choice around here and verizon isn't really more expensive because im paying 60 a month for 200 texts and 450 anytime minutes and I don't use my phone that much. with verizon i would pay the same but get unlimited texting and media messaging with 450 anytime but I will ask around and see who prefers what. thanks for the info

well i have alltel which just got bought out by verizon. I have cell reception just about everywhere i go. I also have a att wireless air card and a nextel that bairly has service and if they were not company paid for i would throw them out in the river.

We have been using verizon for about four years. No problems at all. The $20 for unlimited texting is well worth it! With how many texts our 14 year old son racks up, I'd hate to see how high the bill could be, if we had to pay per text!

Edited by Berry (see edit history)

we have had verizon for about 5 years now, we love them, they are a little expensive here, but service is great. My only complaint is what Stitches said, they lack in cool phones, and one more side note, they are limited on their ringtone features, you cant go on the internet and upload a ringtone to your phone, verizon has their stuff locked.