Flex-a-lite AC wire location?

novanet

• 2 months later...

Some minor problems wiring the fans.

Did the install last Friday, pretty straight forward.

I temporarily wired it since this weekend a harness is going to be put in there so the PCM triggers the fans on and off. Got a pink wire in my fuse box for the ignition source, and that works no problem. My source for the AC compressor I used the green (positive wire) under my fuse box. There are only two close wires under the A/C relay, and one is the solid dark green, and the other is greed with a white stripe (ground). So I tapped into the solid dark green one and wired it to pin #8 on the VSC.

I initially got it up to temp and checked to make sure the probe was working and that when turning on the ac, the fans kicked on full. And they did. :D

Later that day I turn on my A/C while driving and within like ten minutes, a code is thrown,(don’t remember the #) that says PCM to Compressor communication problems. A reduced power light comes on my dash, and the motor wont rev past 1000RPM’s and misfires!!!!! :rolleyes:

I take the key out, open and close the door to reset the pcm for a second ignition, put the key back in and the truck starts up fine!! :crazy:

So basically the truck runs fine as long as I don’t turn the ac on. It has to do with the wire I tapped into but I am positive it the green positive A/C compressor signal wire.

WTF???? :confused:

the thought of having to unbolt and remove the Volant was unnatractive to say the least, considering the pain-in the a$$ it was to install it 

:confused: I installed the Volant this past Sunday and it was very straightforward and easy. It was much easier than installing a K&N on my 94 Z28 or a Stealth Ram on my 1996 Impala SS. I even had time to cut a lexan cover out of a sheet so I can see the condition of the filter. I also found the only difference between the 15853 (regular 6.0 ltr Silverado) and 15953 (Silverado SS) is an extra TB rubber adapter. Did you install the 15953?

Don't get rattled. Calm down, research, make a plan, take your time and double check your work. :chevy:

Rick R

I was hoping someone might have some input on the wiring problems I posted above. Figures, it is doing it now (the reduced engine power) regardless of the ac on or off now. :wtf:

Is it possible that my diablo is messing up my tune?? :confused:

First, I don't know anything about the electric fan conversion on this vehicle and have wondered why the Escalades got them and we did not. Electric fans have been the performance and efficiency norm for over a decade.

However, it is clear that the signal wire you chose or your small leak, is causing the computer to think that you are overheating and putting you in reduced power limp-home mode (higher rpms, misfire and reduced power). If you got enough air in the cooling system, you might have an air pocket causing heating near the engine sensor or heads. Make sure your leak is fixed and the system is tight first.

Your AC increases overall heating, so it is probably not your Diablo Tune. The AC probably just threw you over the sensors limit. With your leak fixed, give it some time to clear the codes with the AC off. I believe, that if you ran the truck to warm up 3 consecutive times (without AC), the reduced power mode code, would probably go away. This is how it works on my 2 LT1 cars anyway.

If the code clears and the reduced power mode ceases, then try your AC again. If it goes back to reduced power mode, then you chose the wrong green wire or have a short somewhere.

Hopefully, a guru will chime in here and help you out (Bryan Herter PCMforless). Good Luck.

Rick R

Thanks I CORNER,

Just for grins and giggles, I tapped into both the drk. green and green and white and tried them both on pin 8 and 7 respectfully, and it still made the fans work, but after time the code cam back??

We'll see this weekend.

:thumbs::seeya:

P.S. I CORNER I believe it was marc_w that hit the radiator, I am just one more person with problems :shakehead:

Thanks for the pic n20pwr,

That is the exact same wire that I taped into for my A/C control. The ignition source that I used was actually (from what the picture looks like) two blocks up and one to the right of where he has his pink wire taped.

Do you think that changing my ignition source would solve my problem. Would an ignition source cause trouble between the PCM and comptessor???

I guess I'll just give it a shot and see. :seeya:

Welp,

So far it looks like that was my problem. I swapped out the ignition source and so far I have got no problems.

If I hear anything else I will let you guys know.

Thanks again for the picture guys, much appreciated.

:seeya:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived