Got the SuperMaxx system installed

slimsoftball

Well the SuperMaxx system is on. It was a pretty straight forward install. Had the usual problems like bolts that are hard to get to. Not too bad though.

Sounds great! I haven't driven it yet though, just finished and the kids are asleep. I will test her out tommorrow.

That's great. Does your truck sound any dfferent with the new system? I am curious if the headers and high-flow cats make the exhaust note any louder with the muffler being the same. I'm going to do mine next week. Can you give me any tips on the supermaxx install? How hard was it to put the headers on and whatever else you can think of? Please let me know...

Glad to hear everything went smooth! :)

2003 Nelson Performance tuned SS: MagnaCharger Radix

w/ 3.00 pulley, Comp Cam 212/218 522/529 114, Trans-Go

shift kit and Corvette servo, Dynatech longtube headers and

high flow cats, MagnaFlow dual in/out exhaust, Flex-a-Lite fans, 160 deg stat.

In soon : Yank Pro Truck 3000, NX Stage One EFI system.

This could be interesting! :cheers:

Tom

In their defense, Dynatech was very helpful with all of my issues. They are aware of some of the fit problems and are already producing modified kits. I just got off the phone with them and they are going to pick-up the kit and coordinate with the vendor to refund my money. They offered to send me one of the new modified fitting kits but definately didn't pressure me.

This is the kind of service that will send me back to Dynatech in the future, despite the problems I have had with this particular product. A company that not only stands behind its product but is willing to accept responsibility and make it right with the customer is hard to find.

On another note, Tom from Tbyrne is really going to get tired of seeing me complain pretty soon :D

I saw them do a custon header job on a nasty muscle/drag car on TV. They way the show talked about the quality and R&D they do (and the time spent on this particular vehicle), I'm real surprised you ran into problems.

If they get that updated kit out with the problems fixed, I'm still considering them for my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Now about all the Supermaxx sytem hoopla/problems lately, heres my similar experience and ultimate fix:

These were the problems I was experiencing after the initial install of the new headers/cats mid-pipes from Dynatech:

1. Horrible exhaust leak/clunking sound coming from area of driver side engine bay.

2. Weird, watery "gurgling" like noise from what sounded like center, front behind dashboard.

3. Brake "rubbing/grinding" noise coming from front right area when slowing gently or quickly.

4. All problems above were intermittent and exxagerated greatly by sharp left turns and any kind of "torquing" of the engine. (Quick starts, and brake torquing on launch)

Called Dynatech and complained bitterly, spoke to their customer service and then their tech guys. They asked the usual, "Anything rubbing, etc.?" I replied no, but I thought that their should be some more clearance between the header collectors and the frame, I only had 3/4 of an inch on the driver side, and 1/4 inch on the passenger side. Their reply, "Put a breaker bar or crowbar on the collector and or tubes and "muscle it" (bend) over to obtain at least 1 inch away from the side frame on both sides. If anything breaks, we'll replace it." Made me sick to my stomach to do it, and I actually had to torque the pipes over an inch and a half to get it to spring back and settle in the right position, but a few moments later, it was done. After extensive day and a half test drive trying to duplicate the above problems; couldn't do it. They are perfect. Unbelievable. Called them back and they stated that they believe the engine was moving in the mounts under load while torquing and the extra clearance was needed to provide a margin of error during this situation. That's while at rest, it appeared that clearance wasn't a problem. Go figure. I spoke to Slimsoftball about this and he may attempt a re-install of his sytem, which BTW was experiencing the exact same weird noises as me. That is if his patience isn't already shot, after all he's had them off and on twice already! Good luck Slim!

p.s.

The SOTP gains from the Supermaxx and Corsa were AWESOME. Even I was surprised...and I'm a tough sell.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

i am glad to hear about the gains from the dynatech and yah sorry for digging up an old post. i really want these headers as well and just found out that maryland emissions plug into something under the dash and if a check engine light comes on i fail. never had a new vehicle always had the exhaust test. anyone know if these headers will set that off? once again sorry for bringing this back up but atleast i searched for an old post.

I doubt the Dynatechs by themselves will set off the check-engine light. And every set of headers that I've bought did require some last-minute fitup "adjustments" with 3-lb sledge and a large socket, the issues described are pretty typical.

Mr. P.

Archived