Anyone Here Do Mma?

Puglia10

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with MMA, I'm starting in the fall.

Well I have about 7 years or so under my belt. What do you need to know or what's up? Where are you located?

I live in Boston...The place I wanna go is 90 bucks a month, does that seem high or is that normal? Also, if you've been doing it that long I take it you enjoy it, do you do it just for fun/knowledge or have you actually fought at events?

Thanks! :)

I dabble in MMA/GracieBJJ/Muy Tai. I've been focusing on my Jiu Jitsu here as of late. Only been doing Jits for about 6 months but I've got a few years of boxing, more years than I can count doing wrestling and some Judo. I'm not competing, I just do it to learn, keep in shape, and have some fun. Although I'm thinking about doing some Jits tourney's for some added fun.

If anyone is in the Chicago/Naperville IL area and are looking to get into it you can check out my teams website.

http://www.jeffnealjiujitsu.com/

Edited by Bishop (see edit history)

ive been in mixed martial arts since i was a kid. thats my parents way of keeping me out of trouble. now im a army ranger and its kinda my job. what ya need to know.

i used to take mma in watertown mass did it for 8 years wanted to be an ultimate fighter but i also rode dirtbikes and i had a bad crash and it took me a year to recover from that and they said i was luck to walk so i could never get back into it but i loved it. the best thing i ever did. you cant be a fighter unless your ready to train four or five days a week

I have been training for a couple years,but a heavy workload has kept me from competing.I would love to take a fight at one of the events around here but I can't dedicate myself to 7 days a week training.maybe after work slows down a bit I'll give it try.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :cheers:

Im going to go just to learn/stay in shape and stuff, and because im getting bored doing the same old routine lifting, need something different and exciting. Then if I like it and want to, maybe Ill compete at an event. My friend has gone to the gym Im planning on going for like 2 years and I just saw him fight at his event, looked like fun!

Any advice or suggestions for a newbie are welcome!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :cheers:

Im going to go just to learn/stay in shape and stuff, and because im getting bored doing the same old routine lifting, need something different and exciting. Then if I like it and want to, maybe Ill compete at an event. My friend has gone to the gym Im planning on going for like 2 years and I just saw him fight at his event, looked like fun!

Any advice or suggestions for a newbie are welcome!!

If you really want to fight I suggest you take your time and get a good base in every aspect of MMA. Personally I think its best when training BJJ to start with the Gi. Using a Gi is a lot slower and forces you to focus on technic alot more than with no Gi. I know there are arguments for both side, just giving my 2 pennies worth. I agree with the rest of the guys when they say it really takes 7 days a week training to become a legit fighter. The most important thing is to learn from everyone and leave your pride at the door when training.

I live in Boston...The place I wanna go is 90 bucks a month, does that seem high or is that normal? Also, if you've been doing it that long I take it you enjoy it, do you do it just for fun/knowledge or have you actually fought at events?

Thanks! :)

That's a normal price as they very place to place. Yeah I love it and do it for knowledge and to stay in shape. I have about 5 1/2 years wrestling and about 2 years BJJ and Muy-Tai. If you are going to do it for fun it is one of the best ways to stay in shape. If you are planning on competing then you will need to devote yourself to train 7 days a week. Look at it this way, for everyday you dont train then you loose a weeks worth of conditioning. That will be the mind set you need to be in if you compete. I haven't fought in any tournaments but I have competed a couple times unofficially. I have competed in Countless Wrestling tournaments though and loved it. I have also messed around in Judo but I wouldn't say it was enough to count it as something I did. I did it about 4 months and it was ok but I was more into the other stuff above. Have fun man... Good luck.