Motorcycles/mo-peds

SS Silv

With the rise in gas prices, tons of people have been turning to two wheels just to save some doe. In my opinion, I think it is absolutely stupid. I know there are lots of people who drive their motorcycles with care and responsibility, but there are also a bunch of idiots with the right to drive a motorcycle with the capability of doing 150+MPH. I guess my main concern is the people who are purchasing mo-peds and are not required to go through a motorcycle safety class (in my town at least). They can simply go to the store, purchase a mo-ped and drive home. The other day I saw a 16 year old girl driving a mo-ped down a busy intersection. Now, why the hell would you buy your daughter a mo-ped just to save some money. Isn't her life more valuable. I also saw a lady in a dress, highheels, and wearing no helmet driving a mo-ped. Concidering a motorcycle is 5x more dangerous than a car/truck I will not concider it. I do understand that some motorcycle accidents can be caused by a car or truck, but what do you do after you have been hit and killed driving your motorcycle?

mopeds you dont need a license for. and you cant be on the road you must be on the shoulder. scooters and anything bigger you need a license for. yes it saves alot of gas, and almost all the accidents are caused by other cars or trucks not seeing you. atleast around here.

mopeds you dont need a license for. and you cant be on the road you must be on the shoulder. scooters and anything bigger you need a license for. yes it saves alot of gas, and almost all the accidents are caused by other cars or trucks not seeing you. atleast around here.

Well, be it a moped or scooter, locally they don't need a license to drive on the road. Which is crazy.

If gas prices are hurting you that much then give up some of the good things in life instead of risking your life on a moped. Peope do stupid $hit all the time and I'd rather be in a car/truck instead of on a bike when it happens. I pay out the @ss for gas for my car and truck but I don't have to. It's what I choose to do and will because I love my truck and I put many miles on the car going back and forth to daycare. I'll just bitch about the price of gas because it's shouldn't be so high really.

If gas prices are hurting you that much then give up some of the good things in life instead of risking your life on a moped. Peope do stupid $hit all the time and I'd rather be in a car/truck instead of on a bike when it happens. I pay out the @ss for gas for my car and truck but I don't have to. It's what I choose to do and will because I love my truck and I put many miles on the car going back and forth to daycare. I'll just bitch about the price of gas because it's shouldn't be so high really.

Glad someone agree's.

I Own a pedal bike store you lazy bastards! MY STORE

Oh yeah, I forgot about the idiots thinking their peddle bike is a motor vehicle. Especially when they are riding on the road when there is a perfect bike trail 10 feet from road. It's illegal to drive a mo-ped on a bike trail but why do cyclist think they can ride on the road. Stupid!! There are MANY of times when I have to swerve into the on-coming traffic lane to move for a stupid cyclist. bastards...

On the other hand, nice store/site. I myself am a Specialized Rockhopper rider, and I keep my bike for the trails, not roads.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

almost all the accidents are caused by other cars or trucks not seeing you.

I know a few people that have been hit while sitting at a red light on their bikes by cars. I also know a few that have been hit by cars pulling out of side streets and cutting them off. I almost dumped a couple of times because of this. Are there idiots out there on bikes? Oh hell yea! But there are alot more in cars and trucks. They all might not drive as fast or as reckless, but there are plenty that shouldn't be driving period. Plenty of old, or aloof, or inexperienced, or distracted, or just plain uncaring people out there.

As far as pedal bikes go, here they are motor vehicles if on the road. If you ride on the street, you are obligated to obey the rules of the road. Most pedal bike riders around here blow through intersections and run lights but the second you don't give them an inch, you're the dick.

and mopeds. screw mopeds.

i love it when my bike has one wheel on the ground :) j/p but anyways those moped / cycle riders get on my nerve..... and most of the accidents are caused by the driver/ operator of a car/truck not the motorcycle cuz they dont c the motorcycle...... thats y i am always alert(SCANNING) and keep about a 12 sec buffer from the car/truck in front of me...... and i knwo there are people who stunt and all that bs but i think there are way 2 many people either eating, talking on the phone, puttin on makeup, and other random bs in the cars/trucks.....

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

Absolutely hate mopeds. If it's 50cc or under you don't need any kind of motorcycle endorsement as they are exempt. They are way undepowered to be used on main roads as their top speed is usually 35-40 MPH (technology has moved the top speed up on some of the more expensive models). You'll barely stay out of harms way, your already running at top speed. Parents putting their kids on these things truly baffles me. People buying them have no idea how dangerous they are until it's too late because they have no previous experience with mopeds or motorcycles.

Motorcycles are a better alternative but I do question the motives of manufacturers who build crotch rockets capable of 180+ MPH with marketing geared to 18-25 year old males with no requirement for any high performance training as part of the sale. Pay your money and take your choice. Getting the motorcycle endorsement is up to you but you can buy it and ride it home...today. Learn how to ride the point and launch method :jester:

Then there are the mid life crisis RUBs (rich urban bikers) or Rolex riders taking up riding after a long hiatus or just learning to ride when their kids are grown. I'm in that age group and have found some decent riders but also a lot of people who should not be riding motorcycles. If they suck at driving a car, they'll suck at riding a motorcycle. The age group of 36-54 has a higher incident of alcohol related motorcycle accidents than the 18-25 year olds. The over 40 age group has also seen the largest increase in motorcycle ownership as well from 1990-2003

Alcohol and motorcycles do not mix. I had a brother who was killed riding drunk. Didn't negotiate a corner, hit a tree, killed instantly. Another brother seriously injured, same scenario. Both in their 30s, single, living the bachelor life. Because of these events a lot of people can't understand why I would want to ride. I still love it but all my riding is alcohol free.

Bryan (SS Silv), sorry for the thread hijack

BTW, I hate group rides/ poker runs ( too many bar stops) too. Generally ride with a childhood buddy or a small group of 6-8 bikes with like minded individuals

Edited by hot rod truck (see edit history)