Blue Ray Players

r8rs4lf

In my opinion, Blu-Ray players are still in Beta test. I have some Blu-Ray disks that won't play properly. Seems like every time I buy a new disk, I have to get another firmware upgrade for my player. What a mess. A PS3 is probably the best choice as it is more easily updated and has more CPU horsepower to handle all the stuff the keep adding to the Blu-Ray standard. The saddest thing is, a good upconverting standard DVD player looks about 3/4 as good as Blu-Ray.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The major diffrence is you cannot bit stream uncompressed auidio (TrueHD 7.1) with the PS3. If you do not intend on ever having a great audio system to go with blueray get the PS3 if your only in it for the picture.

Comment #2: This system does not support output from DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1 Ch audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel.

I wonder if anyone could break this down for me? Does this mean that if I purchase a BR disk that has audio coming out that is HD 7.1, it will not come out that way regardless if I have a 7.1 audio/video reciever? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

This is what worries me. It seems like a stand alone will be the way I have to go. I just wish all this sh*t was easier to understand.

After reviewing my options i finally settle on a PS3. I Also have a 7.1 system. One thing you have to remember is that there is only a handful of movies that are true 7.1 off the disk. Most disk are set in 5.1 but will be played in a 7.1 mode that's not true. For the fact of the options that the ps3 could do I went that route. Gaming when I want it, A 40 to 80 GB hard drive, Internet access, fully update able firmware, Its seem the best when i put my system together. You be shocked bye what the PS3 can do for sound. I have a half basic system Sony STR 910 receiver and Polk speaker system. RM6880 its came as a 5.1 system but I bought 2 more sat to make it 7.1 and its sounds awesome to me. If i was going top of the line. Everything would of been THX certified.

Edited by ItsJac (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

IMO it doesn't make sense to buy a stand alone BD player. The PS3 does everything a stand alone does plus it can get firmware updates via wifi and plays games if you are into that. I made the decision to go with a PS3 back in the day and never regretted it. It's part of my home theater.

Blu-Ray is still in Beta Test. Seems like everytime I buy a new disk, I have to go get updates in order to play it :mad: Whatever you get, make sure it is easy to update. Doing the USB thumb drive shuffle from my computer to the player seems like it would not be so bad, till you have to pull out the cabinet and fumble around at the back of the player looking for the port to plug it in :sigh:

yeah that is pretty lame. but since i have wireless a ps3 seems like it would be alot easier. not to mention i also have a few extra usb cables so i can leave one plugged in and have my laptop near. not a big deal but i wish they would focus more on internet to harddrive movies . like having netflix on the xbox . they just dont have the big list of movies. i dont think its in 1080p for the hd's either. i still havent got to enjoy a 1080p movie on the new led tv. but i can say call of duty 4 is a new experience for sure.

In my opinion, the oppo is the best bang for the buck, It plays every Compact Disk format (SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD, MP3, BLU-RAY, ect...) and has a great picture and sound. It also has the Analog 7.1 output, so if you have a receiver that cant decode DTS-HD masters or Dolby Tru HD through the HDMI you can still get the best sound out of those analog outputs. and also it is only $500 which to get something to match it would be about $1500 and up starting price. My Co-Worker has one and loves it. I'm thinking of getting one myself. Also if you look it up on the AV forums people are really raving about them. Oppo has always been a company to give you the absolute best for your buck.