The 6.0 And Drive Train

Suh-Lic

next question

How good are the 6.0 engines on the ss. When do people start having proplems with them. that goes for the the whole drive trian 2 :confused:

the 6.0l lq9 motors are excellent, not many problems out of them. the trans on the other hand is a diffrent story, if u put a shift kit in and change the servos and put a bigger trans cooler on it you should have alot longer service life. the only other problem might be the front diff.you can use the search button on the top of the page and find all kinds of useful info on just about anything you want to know about the SS. welcome to the site :chevy:

nothing wrong with the motor at all, but the transmission is the weak link. if the truck is AWD, you should keep an eye on the front diff. in my opinion, next in line are the brakes. for the weight and the stock rims, the stock rotors are too small. even worse when you put on a set of 22's.

sorry to disagree with some of these things but i think the front diffs are ok . they may make some noise and wear in some cases but thats about it i havent seen many carnage storied mostly just noise from them . i have broken just about every part on my truck at least once, and ive only rebuilt my front diff when i just got my truck becauase it was noisey. no functional problems at all . today its still good with some serious power put through it. besides there isnt much upgrading to do to them anyway.

and also for stock wheels and smaller the stock brakes work just fine . but anyone considering larger wheels that are heavier should realaize that hevier rotating mass will cause your truck to not stop as fast.

the trans is the weak point and shift kit and servos can help prolong life a fully built one should be used with anything over 450-500 hp.

other than that these trucks hold up pretty well.

SS Silv "knocking on wood"

I have had excellent luck with the engine. 107,000 miles and the only engine work that has been done is a new MAF and new spark plugs. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic since day one, and it has been working. I almost forgot, my cat. conv. were plugged at 90,000 miles, they had to be replaced.

As far as the drivetrain, last week I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors. I am sure my 22's didn't help. But I also procrastinated on getting new brake pads. I also had to replace a front tie-rod.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

Like everybody stated the weakest link in these trucks is the transmission. A shift kit, servos, and a transmission cooler will make your tranny last way longer. If u tune the truck make sure you at least install a shift kit if u want the transmission to last. These trucks are pretty reliable, they will last u a long time if u take care of them.