Massive Fire In Conshohocken Pa.

RockHead

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=...&id=6325577

http://phillyfirenews.com/content/firewire/detail/1543/

Conshohocken is about 10-15 miles away from My Fire Station . Dan (FireMan31) called me up and said that he seen it on the News In NY

. I'm on Call SOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I can not make it :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mark

6 alarms, "calling all hands"........a total understatement there.

That's what happens when.......

1- the OIC did not do/does not have a good size up

2- you do not have adequate protection of your exposures

3- there is insufficient manpower

4- advanced fire prior to arrival

5- limited water supply

Also, these buildings burn fast/collapse quickly when.....

1- there is a common cockloft

2- light weight wood truss roof(w/BS stamped gusset plates)

3- wood I-beam floor joists(fireman killers)

4- heavy fire load

I hate to monday morning quarterback this fire, you can kind of tell what happened...Radiant Heat is a killer in these circumstances......that's why buildings this large should be fire proof(Type 1)/fire resistive(Type 2) construction, not friggin made of sticks like those buildings were.

:fart:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

It took them 5 Hours to put it under Contral. It also went to 8 Alarm when it was all dun :eek: It was the Bigist Fire In Montgomery County History that is what they are saying .......There 40 Fire Company and 800 Fire Fighters ............ It look like slow start to put on the water on the Fire....

Hey Mark, did you see the one in Wind Gap PA at the recycling plant last weekend? 12 fire departments were called to the fire. The place is 10 mile from me and I could smell the plastic burning. Burned for 3 days.

6 alarms, "calling all hands"........a total understatement there.

That's what happens when.......

1- the OIC did not do/does not have a good size up

2- you do not have adequate protection of your exposures

3- there is insufficient manpower

4- advanced fire prior to arrival

5- limited water supply

Also, these buildings burn fast/collapse quickly when.....

1- there is a common cockloft

2- light weight wood truss roof(w/BS stamped gusset plates)

3- wood I-beam floor joists(fireman killers)

4- heavy fire load

I hate to monday morning quarterback this fire, you can kind of tell what happened...Radiant Heat is a killer in these circumstances......that's why buildings this large should be fire proof(Type 1)/fire resistive(Type 2) construction, not friggin made of sticks like those buildings were.

:fart:

The new thing for construction companies in South Florida is "tilt wall construction". Walls are already assembled and brought in via 18 wheeler. These also pose a large threat to emergency crews working inside a building. I've seen a complete warehouse complex complete in construction be assembled in 2 days. Pretty scary. Not quite as bad as the old style northern wood homes, but it does pose quite a bad possibility for collapse under stress.

The new thing for construction companies in South Florida is "tilt wall construction". Walls are already assembled and brought in via 18 wheeler. These also pose a large threat to emergency crews working inside a building. I've seen a complete warehouse complex complete in construction be assembled in 2 days. Pretty scary. Not quite as bad as the old style northern wood homes, but it does pose quite a bad possibility for collapse under stress.

Oh it's here too, recently I watched a house near me get trucked into the neighborhood in sections, then assembled in around 3 days time. :eek: This is why size-up and pre-plans are such a big deal, you never know what hairy sh*t you are getting into.........

Huh. I had to look that one up, never heard that term before; I've heard of a cockblock, but never a cockloft. :jester:

Mr. P.

Cockloft = a common attic between buildings or sections of a building

...just to clarify that for everyone :P

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Cockloft = a common attic between buildings or sections of a building

...just to clarify that for everyone :P

Oh ok good, because some might have an initial thought that a cockloft is what a fluffer provides on adult movie sets. :jester:

wow that was a big fire. thanks to all of you firemen who risk your life. i pray for those who lost......

Our job isnt easy or safe to be exact, but compared to what you and the Rangers gotta do... My hats off to you guys.

Edited by SSSmoke Eater (see edit history)