Exhaust Leak

Joel Blair

I installed my OBX headers a week ago, and I have an exhaust leak at both clamps supplied by OBX and one more at the clamp on the passenger side pipe just ahead of the muffler ( I'm assuming this is a stock clamp but not sure because the truck already had a catback exhaust when I got it)

So my question is what is the best thing to use to seal the leaks? I would rather not weld the joints together just in case I have to ever take the pipes out.

Thanks

Permatex "Ultra Copper" high temp silicone. That's what I used before sealing my up. Worked great.

Wow thats a coincidence, about the time you posted that, I was at the parts store buying that exact thing. Well actually I got that and some JB Weld, but I am leaning more toward the high temp silicone, I am thinking that the JB Weld might be overkill.

use stainless steel straps to clamp them togather

Isn't that what I already have from OBX? Or are you talking about something else?

BTW thank you both for the help

they have better clamps, but my obx seem to seal good...my O2's were lose and my plugs kept falling out but nut and bolt the entire exhaust and you should be fine. I used a little anti-sieze, it says it'll goto high temps and I just wanted a little lube in there.

they have better clamps, but my obx seem to seal good...my O2's were lose and my plugs kept falling out but nut and bolt the entire exhaust and you should be fine. I used a little anti-sieze, it says it'll goto high temps and I just wanted a little lube in there.

Ya I loosened everything up this morning and tried to realign all the pipes so that the connections were a little straighter. But I haven't started it up yet so I don't know if that helped to seal everyhting up, but hopefully it improved everything a little bit

DON'T USE JB WELD!!! You will have nothing but problems if you ever have to take them off. You'll have to grind everything off to get a good seal. The copper silicone will be good enough, and use some anit-seize on the bolts and 02's too. I forgot to use anti-seize on mine, and I'll have a hell of time to get them out without stripping them.

DON'T USE JB WELD!!! You will have nothing but problems if you ever have to take them off. You'll have to grind everything off to get a good seal. The copper silicone will be good enough, and use some anit-seize on the bolts and 02's too. I forgot to use anti-seize on mine, and I'll have a hell of time to get them out without stripping them.

Ya I didn't use it because I was afraid of that exact thing. I just put some muffler sealer in the connection and then some silicone on the outside, and I am hoping that will stop any leaks. And thanks for mentioning the antisieze, I forgot to put a little on my O2's.

Once again, Thanks guys :cheers: