Check This Out.........

Today, after all the issues I have been having with the rear end in my truck, I decided to pull the cover off. I was hoping that spraying the clutches in the G80 down with brake cleaner would help correct the recent shudder/chatter I have been experiencing.

Well to my surprise I found this.........

HPIM0900.JPG

Oh yes, that's a sh*t load of metal on the magnet, here's a closer view........

HPIM0898.JPG

If you look closely, the large chunks are the teeth from the G80's spider gear........

HPIM0906.JPG

Here's what the spider gear looks like, it is kind of hard to tell from the photos, but there are several teeth missing, around a dozen or so.......

HPIM0905_2.jpg

I am glad I found this now, if I didn't open the diff up today I could have had a complete failure happen soon. The solution---seeing how I am now 700 miles out of warranty, a dealer fix is out of the question. I could probably get my dealer to 'good will' the repair, but i'd rather not have another POS G80 put into my truck. Even though money is tight, I am gonna bite the bullet on a Detroit TruTrac, TA Girdle, and ARP studs. I am going on an ordering frenzy tonight, and plan on having my trans shop do the install later in the week.

A word of advice........if you have the money and the opportunity arises, dump the G80 while you can to avoid any future headaches!

:rant:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now now im curious to open mine up

I dont think us AWD boys have the G80 from what I have been told, we are ok. We have to worry about our front diffs more than the rears. I've already had my front diff rebuilt.

Sorry to hear about your luck Dan. I know we were talking the other day about how it was not in the budget, but I think you are making the right choice to do it the right way now rather than putting a bandaid on it and having to face the same issue again not so far down the road.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I dont think us AWD boys have the G80 from what I have been told, we are ok. We have to worry about our front diffs more than the rears. I've already had my front diff rebuilt.

Yes yo do have a G80, but yours isnt under as much stress since your AWD.

the AWD doesnt have a mechanical locker like we do, its a limited slip. both eatons, and i THIIINK its the same order code but i dont recall.

dan you must run that sucker hard lol. mines still in one piece and my diff gets beat to a pulp

dan you must run that sucker hard lol. mines still in one piece and my diff gets beat to a pulp

Yeah I drive her hard......maybe mine was a defective unit from the factory? Did any of the TSBs you found reference anything like this John?

UPDATE-The Detroit TrueTrac, TA Girdle, and ARP Studs have been ordered and will be here tomorrow UPS Red. With Red shipping, the total cost for parts is over $900. :freak: Truck goes in the shop Wednesday morning, should be done by Thursday afternoon at the latest. :fingersx: