Mass Air Sensor Descreen

palletyard

i was browsing around and came across this. i took mine off when i installed the intake am i in trouble.....

descreening your MAF-DONT DO IT! its not a good thing. The only way i would suggest doing this is if you were on the dyno tuning, that way you could see what your engine is doing with out it in there.

Don't forget that makes the trans mess up too... the comptuer believes there is less airflow, thus less load; ergo less line pressure. Not what you want...

It is not a good idea, that screen straightens and directionalizes/smooths the air coming into your engine. Since you have descreened yours there is really nothing you can do about it unless you replace the MAF. I don't think you are in trouble, your truck will just have a bit more turbulence in the intake track....

:withstupid: the screens main purpose is to smooth out the airflow before it hits the meter. without it, the air readings are much more "all over the place", making it harder for the truck to add/subtract the right amount of fuel, etc etc. the lists of negatives goes on and on, all for minimal minimal airflow gain at WOT.

if you want to maximize airflow, really only necesarry if your moving alot of air, there are MAFs designed to run with no screen, like the lingenfelter 100mm. also the granatelli, but from my testing they suck

I popped my screen out when I dropped in a K&N and it helped a lot with responce with 0 codes. I was reading an LSX book my cousin had and this was the first mod it said people should do. It said after a certain year GM quit putting them in the MAF for the same reason they suggest removing it. I've seen no trouble out of it.