Think I Blew It!

Well i went to the grocery store in my wifes intimidator 30,000k which is 1 mile away when i went to leave at 15mph nailed it and instead of 2nd BANG!! like i hit neutral! I stayed out till rpms dropped and it gave me drive back till i pulled in the driveway. Now im a little pist so i gas it just enough to drop a gear and i think that was it,it reved out again i rolled to a stop in the front of my garage and shifted thru and i lost drive and 3rd! What i dont get is why not 1st or 2nd i would have thought, why 3rd! :(:(:( Yea my wife is not impressed to say the least! Guess ill see how good warranty is with 4,000 miles left im feeling lucky right.

Wow I have read a lot of horror stories on these trannys. Is this something I need to be worried about in the future?

The 4L65E is a major weakpoint in these trucks. Beefing them up with a shift kit, servos, and a larger cooler is a good idea in most cases as they can extend transmission life. As long as you have normal maintenance done on your trans you should be fine........driving style and conditions can effect trans life too. Remember that heat is the #1 killer of transmissions. Seeing how you are in AZ, you really should consider upgrading your trans cooler.

Many people also make the mistake of jumping from minor bolt ons to big stuff like blowers and cams without installing the supporting mods to go with them, i.e. shift kit, servos, stall, headers. I did all my supporting mods first, all I have left now is motor work...........which is the way it should be done unless you really want to start breaking parts IMO.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)