My New Toy!

I picked this up on this past Thursday night. Its a 1981 Corvette. It was being put together at a shop up in Rancho Cucamunga, CA and the guy couldn't afford to pay what he owed. It sat at that shop for a year and the shop owner finally aquired the title and put it up for sale. He was advertising it for $6500, and I came over with cash in hand, and a trailer and hauled it off for $5,900. It was a good score, as they just dropped a new crate motor in it and it only has something like 500 miles on the new motor. It does have its issues, but it will still turn out to be a great car to own. What do you think?

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6985.jpg

Edited by Marine_SSGT (see edit history)

Thats a nice looking cruiser. I know its probably not the direction you intend to go as most gen 3 vette owners dont, but a corvette has to have hp. I hope the crate motor they dropped in will power it into the low 13's or high 12's at least. Something healthy. Either way, $5,900 is a steal for that car and makes a great foundation block to build on no matter what direction you decide to go. Did they have the 700R4 in those yet or is that a TH350 auto? And at least it isnt the dredded the 82 with the lousy fuel injection system, I think it was called the crossfire injection? not sure...

Do a Ls motor in that beast

Thats EXACTLY what that car needs. Im not a fan of that generation at all, but you did get 1 hell of a deal on it for its condition. But definitely do a swap with the drivetrain and make that thing haul, and be economical doing it. Not to mention a bit of a sleeper considering those are "known" as the slow Vettes.