Volant Setup Question

dmf21209

alright, went to take a first look at my filter on my volant CAI which came on the truck when I bought it, it has the top cover on it. So I unscrewed the top (well, one of them little bastards is seized in there), and looked down and the "ram" air thing isnt there, so all I had was a 3-4 inch hole in the bottom of the filter box and that's all that was feeding it air. So I left the top cover off for the 8 hour drive back to ohio and the truck has a little more kick to it and I gained .5 MPG.

Question is though, should i just leave it as is or should I fab up a "ram air" system from the bottom front of the bumper and put the top back on?

Was kinda nice finding that little hidden power though, because it wasnt giving me anymore air than a stock intake would have...

There is a large cut out on the side next to the fender and the ram air hole in the bottom of the box.i would leave the top on and either buy the ram air tube wich is pricey or just fabup up something...

chris

what's the advantage of having the top cover on?

well with the top on it helps control the air flow as if it was off it goes every where. you can fab the ram air tube and duct. the one you can but from them is about 130 bones.

what's the advantage of having the top cover on?

its a cold air box .. you need to leave the cover on to limit the amount of hot air getting into the intake.. you know how it runs on a cold air morning.. like a date rape.. so the purpose is to get cool air into the intake.. i have the ram air tube, not sure if its getting major gains. but cruising around its feeding the beast cool air to run better.. the open air box intakes are not cold air intakes, they are feeding hot air right into the motor.. good luck

Edited by SSPOSSE (see edit history)