Shutter... Any Ideas?

welll as much as i love this site.. i HATE this section... i dont like reading or postin in here...lmao cause ya know its gotta be soemthing negitive i mean..

anyways.. heres my latest seen if anyones got any ideas.. i my way home last nite i noticed a lil shutter kinda thing in my truck at about 60mph almost like a stumble..between 55 and 60 but it was reallllly suttle so i didnt think much of it.. well today it got much worse not sure because the truck was cold or what..but seems to be around 50ish to 60ish when it shifts in to OD and in low rpms it feels the the truck is shuttering really bad if i put it in neuteral it goes away and if i drop a gear it goes away so it seems to be somthing trans related. im almost wondering if maybe its soemthing to do with the lockup on the converter? other then that the truck runs great and hits all the shifts hard as aways.. so im pretty sure its in the trans but i have NO ideas other then maybe the converter? no check eng lights or anything on yet....anyone got any ideas? or anything i can try to narrow it down before something lets go??

RICE EATER,

Does it just GO AWAY above 60 or below 55. It sounds like a TCC to me as well just not engaging smooth. One thing you can try at those speed when it starts just quickly tap the brake pedal and see if A) the tach needle jumps up a little bit and then B) the shutter goes away. Is the tranny stock currently pull the dipstick and look at the fluid colour and the smell. It could be a sticky TCC solenoid, I am not sure what the new ones are like but the older ones in the GM trannies we replaced all the time. You can also check your rear shaft front U-joint. I did both of mine last weekend with only 70k Miles on the truck and they were very stiff.

rgds,

thanks.. im starting to think more and more... ( maybe just hoping ) that its the TC... i have hp tuners so im tryin to figure out a way to scan/log and see if i can notice anything being a bit of a noob with the software im not sure how and what to look for. krambo though i should try and lockup the converter and look for any slip as a tell tall sign... which sounds like a great idea.. just not sure how to do that yet...so im playin around with my scanner tryin to figure it out.... helluva way to learn tho..haha

There are many ways to log this as well. First I would do a standard default log and closely look at the "shudder" event across all the parameters logged. Look for KR spikes / timing first, then look at the rest of the parameters for anything out of the ordinary. You should see some ripples at where the engine RPM and the event take place. You may be getting a misfire which will cause the TCC to unlock/shudder (however unlikely). Try logging for engine missfires next.

I would then change a PID to log input shaft speed and output shaft speed and watch for obvious changes. Keep in mind a gear change is not what you are looking for rather a fluctuation in the speed delta from one shaft to another. The two shafts will not be exactly the same number so look closely for a change in the ratio. If you see no real change, all signs point to converter. You need to be sure you are not commanding a lock and unlock event during this first though. Being that you stated this shudder just started happening, I am guessing something is going (unless you reflashed a new tune???).

thats wut was happening to mine...you throwing any codes yet?...and when you slow down and come to a stop is it down shifting harder than normal?

no codes yet. and i did notices over the last few weeks that when it down shifted in to first it seemed alil harder then normal almost like it clunked in... but i dont DD the truck anymore so i might have been hearin things. you said thats what was? like you solved the problem?

ok i think i got the basics of what your talkin about.. il go do some logs now and see what i can come up with

reflashed a new tune? i did flash a bit of a tune.. well i couldnt even call it that i just changed tire size while i was at the track from 31in to 26ins .. and then flashed it back to the old one when i got home after my service brake light came on. which i figured to be due to the wheel speed and trans speed to be off

Edited by RICE EATER (see edit history)

ok did some login pretty much loged everything in the trans..lol and i have no idea what most of it means but it seems to me that it starts to shutter right as the TC is about to lockup about 53ish mph if im wot it doesnt seem to do it.. which is probly why i didnt notice at the track.... so im leanin to the TC alil more..

• 3 weeks later...
ok did some login pretty much loged everything in the trans..lol and i have no idea what most of it means but it seems to me that it starts to shutter right as the TC is about to lockup about 53ish mph if im wot it doesnt seem to do it.. which is probly why i didnt notice at the track.... so im leanin to the TC alil more..

have you found out what the problem is yet? My truck is doing the same thing.

nathan call danny you may wanna pull that tc before it shits the tranny too it sounds like the l/u clutch goin out

no i havent figured it out yet. im pretty sure its the l/u clutch also after doin some logs and feeling in start the shutter right as it begains to lock. but to behonest ive parked the truck.. im alil burned out and frusterated ive only put about 5k miles on it sence ive owned it.. and ive put a new motor. cam. injectors. efans. converter and had to rebuild the trans and tcase ... which we all know adds up to alot of bucks. and im not sure its ANYfaster then it was. so for now i guess its parked ! :sigh:

yea @ WOT the TC would not lock up and would make no problem.

what stall is in there???

running 12's is not easy on the truck espically the trans...but I agree I would be pissed about the work you keep putting in the truck.

PM sent about the converter.

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)