Why?

blackss461982

i feel that chevy has a problem and that is slapping SS badges on anything now days. i dont understand why they do this :dunno: !!i honestly feel that its :icon_bs: . someone please help me understand this it's been burning me for a while now and it still doesnt make sence.

you and i are on the same page! but have you noticed that it is called the "sport" on newer cars? not the SS. at least thats what i have seen.

I will prolly get some crap for this, but some of the older muscle car guys think the same things about our trucks, I mean why are they considered an SS??

its a marketing ploy is all it is. Dodge and the R/T/SRT lineup is the same thing. the old muscle car guys dont like the R/T's being listed on everything either.

off my rant now! :)

All I know is the Cobolt and Impala that have a SS model, are there others?

well im not sure of this years but they have inlcuded in the recent years

malibu ss ( biggest joke ever) , cobalt ss , hhr ss , impala ss, monte carlo ss , trailblazer ss, and of course the sss.

there was also a couple ss packages on cobalts and some had the regular ecotec non boosted and came in a 4 door .

and they also had the equinox sport which actually looked decent for an equinox but they made a good choice and called it the sport not an ss. if they would have thrown in maybe a 5.3 h.o. it could have been called an ss imo

im with you O that should be the definition of super sport.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

I hear ya man. Even though I own an SS, I am a bit embarrassed to own an "SS" truck with only 345hp. I hate when people come up to me and ask what engine is in my truck and is it superchaged. Me: nope, just a 6 liter. Them: So than why is it an SS? Me: well... huh... I guess it is all about the styling. So, why did I buy the SS, I guess its for the styling.

So, back to your original question. Why did they slap the SS badge on the Silverado SS?

Although I own one, I often ask myself this question :banghead:

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

I hear ya man. Even though I own an SS, I am a bit embarrassed to own an "SS" truck with only 345hp. I hate when people come up to me and ask what engine is in my truck and is it superchaged. Me: nope, just a 6 liter. Them: So than why is it an SS? Me: well... huh... I guess it is all about the styling. So, why did I buy the SS, I guess its for the styling.

So, back to your original question. Why did they slap the SS badge on the Silverado SS?

Although I own one, I often ask myself this question :banghead:

no imo i feel as if we deserve to wear the badge. looks we have and a well built american made engine. thats what i feel makes an ss an ss. i mean what got me started on all this was my buddies 08 monte carlo ss. i mean its a 5.3, nothing special and on top of all that its front wheel drive!! wtf!!! we were the last true ss until the camaro comes out!

I hear you about the SS badges being slapped on more and more chevy cars. I just wished they made them only for a few years (like our truck), and stop. But then again if there is high demand, they will make them. I see a load of cobalt and monte carlo ss' around here, just glad they didnt mass produce our truck like those.

Then again, are they going to let Dodge take over the sports car market? I doubt it.

I agree with BigO also, ss is for style and for power, Id say our truck has that (plus the benefit of being an engine that can be tuned out nicely).

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

The thing that is sad is our Super Sport truck's main competitor is the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra. Our main competitor being that our truck is an "SS" should be the lightning and SRT10. But stock for stock, we would get worked by BOTH the lightning and SRT10. Rediculous IMO.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

I will put my two cents in. I would have to agree with everyone that the SS labeling is a bit overplayed. They seem to put it on any vehicle they need to grow the market on. I was shocked to see the HHR with SS bagging, but I can only assume they are trying to capture a certain market demographic as any manufacturer will do to increase sales. The SSS is a nice truck and I have always wanted one, but it lacks some fundamental cues to call it an SS. Styling and power are a bench mark for the SS. Why does the SSS stand out? Styling. And this is all done on the outside of the truck. Nothing on the inside other then some stitching and an SS plate set it apart from a nice Silverado. My 2002 Silvy looked no different on the inside then my SSS other then the SS headrest and SS plate. Even though it runs with a HO 6.0L it lacks the real power that a true SSS should have. Look at the Ford Lighting. It lacks style IMO, but has the raw power to back up the name plate. Even the SRT10 has both Style and power. Come on GM, next time put some power behind the name.

IMO the definition of SS is take a normal vehicle what you see everyday, beef up the power and add some extra styling, maybe even some suspension work. And wala you have a Super Sport. When i think of the letters SS, the first thing that comes to mind is a 1970 Chevelle SS with the Ls6 454. The started with a normal ol chevelle, jammed a massive 450hp 454, added some wheels, different hood, racing stripes and bucket seats, and you have IMO the definition of a muscle car and SS.

IMO the cobalt SS, HHR SS, Malibu SS, Monte Carlo SS and the Impala SS all fit in my definition of SS. All of them have different appearance packages and upgraded power. Thats just my opinion. I have driven the Cobalt supercharged, the HHR, the Impala and the Monte Carlo and they all are a blast to drive, and i believe they all fit in my definition of SS

Nothing on the inside other then some stitching and an SS plate set it apart from a nice Silverado.

I couldn't agree more. The exterior definatly meets the requirements to wear the "SS" badge but the interior is lacking. I just looked at the HHR "SS" the interior is sick looking I like how the side bolsters on the seats match the color of the vehicle along with the door panels. Now why couldn't they do something like that with out trucks. I actually have started looking into adding seat inserts and color matched fabric to the door panel and headliner not looking to do anything one-off custom just trying to make my SS more unique or more worthy of the "SS" badge as far as interior goes.

agree with all. but at the same time a SRT-10 has 2 extra cylinders and the lights who has a smaller motor still has an extra motor sitting on top of that!!! i mean face it if they stock gave us a blower nothing would be able to hang! case in point the new corvette ZR1. i mean Damn!!!! the thing is a beast. price per performance not a car can touch it...oh and it looks pretty cool too!!!!