Everyone Chime In Please

Ok everyone im gonna be doing a cam swap on my truck and just wanted some input from those who have already done a cam swap in you SS trucks. I have done 3 cam swaps in an 02' camaro about 5 or so years ago and i know its pretty much the same, but like i said just wanted some input. So is there any spring sompressor that fravorits you? Is it necessary to remove the radiator or just the E fans for the cam swap? Did you guys just spin the cam a few times to shoot the lifters in their plastic holsters or did you use rods in the block prior to removing the cam? Well that pretty much sums everything up, here is a list of what i have:

New balancer bolt

Water pump gaskets

Timing cover seal and gasket

LS2 timing chain

LS6 oil pump

Harland sharp roller rockers

TSP 228R cam

Comp 918's

Hardend pushrods

Standard spring compressor

Pin magnets

Dex cool

Pulley puller

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

Ok everyone im gonna be doing a cam swap on my truck and just wanted some input from those who have already done a cam swap in you SS trucks. I have done 3 cam swaps in an 02' camaro about 5 or so years ago and i know its pretty much the same, but like i said just wanted some input. So is there any spring sompressor that fravorits you? Is it necessary to remove the radiator or just the E fans for the cam swap? Did you guys just spin the cam a few times to shoot the lifters in their plastic holsters or did you use rods in the block prior to removing the cam? Well that pretty much sums everything up, here is a list of what i have:

New balancer bolt

Water pump gaskets

Timing cover seal and gasket

LS2 timing chain

LS6 oil pump

Harlan sharp roller rockers

TSP 228R cam

Comp 918's

Hardend pushrods

Standard spring compressor

Pin magnets

Dex cool

Pulley puller

It is probably easiest to go ahead and pull the radiator (one could have someone hold it up out of the way); anyway it will have to be out of the way. I just spin the cam to lock the lifters up in the trays and have used wooden dowel rods installed in the galleys. I haven't had a lifter fall yet (lucky?). That and I like the Crane valve-spring tool. Question for you - which Harlan Sharp rockers did you decide to go with? The modified stockers or the aluminum ones? It looks like you have pretty thorough list there.

It is probably easiest to go ahead and pull the radiator (one could have someone hold it up out of the way); anyway it will have to be out of the way. I just spin the cam to lock the lifters up in the trays and have used wooden dowel rods installed in the galleys. I haven't had a lifter fall yet (lucky?). That and I like the Crane valve-spring tool. Question for you - which Harlan Sharp rockers did you decide to go with? The modified stockers or the aluminum ones? It looks like you have pretty thorough list there.

i have the orange aluminum rockers

when i was the helper for my first cam swap in the truck we just spun the cam three times to set the lifters up , i was very nervous of one dropping but they didnt . the install on the truck is far easier than a cramped f body.

well let me know how it goes. Im trying to save some $$$$ to do all my mods at once and a cam would be in the picture. If you dont mind me asking, how much is the whole swap roughtly going to run you$$?? maybe a G2G at your place for a R/R of the cam would be cool. That way some of us can also learn. :cheers::cheers:

thanks and good luck, cesar :cheers:

Hell when are you doing the swap, I'd like to do mine at the same time. I'm right down the road from you. If I can't do it at the same time maybe I can head up there and lend a hand and learn something along the way!! :cheers:

well let me know how it goes. Im trying to save some $$$$ to do all my mods at once and a cam would be in the picture. If you dont mind me asking, how much is the whole swap roughtly going to run you$$?? maybe a G2G at your place for a R/R of the cam would be cool. That way some of us can also learn. :cheers::cheers:

thanks and good luck, cesar :cheers:

the price adds up really fast lol :uhoh:

TSP 228R cam package $604.99

Harland Sharp roller rockers $385

Water pump gaskets $6

Timing cover gasket $16

Timing cover seal $15

New pulley bolt $5

LS2 timing chain $30

LS6 oil pump $95

ASP pulley $100

Jantzer Ported 78mm TB $165

44# injectors $225

And obviously you gonna need to rent or buy if you dont already have one, a pulley puller, spring compressor. You also gonna need coolant but dont remeber how much it cost.

Hell when are you doing the swap, I'd like to do mine at the same time. I'm right down the road from you. If I can't do it at the same time maybe I can head up there and lend a hand and learn something along the way!! :cheers:

gonna be doing the swap as soon as the cam arrives mid this week

good luck.

Fun spots

1. crank bolt, I got the puller from autozone tool rental...I did the first cam swap with the chinese pullers and I rented the tool the second time.

2. Radiator all the way out, I use some vaccume caps to plug into the oil cooler and trans cooler to keep the truck clean.

3. I did not trust the keepers so I truned the motor over and did the two springs on the compressed cylnder.

and remember that you are doing it bc its fun!

the price adds up really fast lol :uhoh:

TSP 228R cam package $604.99

Harland Sharp roller rockers $385

Water pump gaskets $6

Timing cover gasket $16

Timing cover seal $15

New pulley bolt $5

LS2 timing chain $30

LS6 oil pump $95

ASP pulley $100

Jantzer Ported 78mm TB $165

44# injectors $225

And obviously you gonna need to rent or buy if you dont already have one, a pulley puller, spring compressor. You also gonna need coolant but dont remeber how much it cost.

You forgot the coolant costs as well. dont let a lifter fall, as soon as youtake the cam out put the new one in, dont wait, espcially if it has higher miles on the engine.

i just did my swap a few months ago. i just turned the cam to keep the lifters up. id rec. getting a few extra keepers, i didnt and spent over an hour looking for one that fell and landed on top of the tranny. using the vasoline to make em sticky for reinstall seemed to help. i also turned to motor to keep the valves up instead of useing compressed air or the "rope" techinqe. as for the radiator i went ahead and pulled it but i think there may be enough room there. for a spring compressor i used just a standard run of the mill auto parts store one. to me the biggest pain in the ass were the springs. good luck Mark

Hopefully you'll have a good compressor. Make sure to just pull the radiator. Some extra keepers would be nice to have just in case. Buy the gasket kit, it's easier. It is part number 12499228. It includes crank bolt, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets (some like to pull the cam sensor when doing a cam swap), crank seal, and water pump gaskets. The LS6 pump is the same as the stock one in your truck and the ported one isn't needed at your power level. The timing chain is excessive also if you have low miles. Your 06' should already have the same timing chain as an LS2, another not needed expense.

Hopefully you'll have a good compressor. Make sure to just pull the radiator. Some extra keepers would be nice to have just in case. Buy the gasket kit, it's easier. It is part number 12499228. It includes crank bolt, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets (some like to pull the cam sensor when doing a cam swap), crank seal, and water pump gaskets. The LS6 pump is the same as the stock one in your truck and the ported one isn't needed at your power level. The timing chain is excessive also if you have low miles. Your 06' should already have the same timing chain as an LS2, another not needed expense.

oh well thats good to know, yeah i know the ported isnt needed, i didnt know that LS6 pump was on the LQ9. i got all the gaskets N all. but thanks for the good info zippy :cheers:

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)