Update Pics Of The Saltwater Tank...new Fish, Corals, And Filtration.

sprayed99

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both of them look good :thumbs: but i have a question, are the salt water tanks harder to clean??

No they are not, you basically let your system clean itself. You rely on a clean up grew that consists of hermit crabs, shrimp, and snails. In the first year of having the tank up, you might experience some undesired algae growth which is normal. This can be a pain in the ass to take care off. But once your tank matures, your clean up crew will take care of the mess. You also need to do weekly water changes.

Danny, your tank looks great. A word of advice, I see you have numerous supplements. Once they are gone, I wouldn't waste your money on them. If you are doing weekly water changes, your salt mix will replenish your desired supplements. What salt are you using? I would suggest using Reef Crystals, concidering you have some LPS corals in your tank. LPS require higher calcium levels compared to soft corals. If you dont, it would be a good idea to get a calcium test kit, as well as a alkalinity test kit.

After having a Salt Water tank, I couldn't even imagine having a freshwater, I mean look at the beauty, this is ALL live coral, there is nothing artificial in this tank:

89530mini-rcadam.jpg

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

I'm gonna say yes because my freshwater tank is 220 gallons and very low maintenence no live rocks or anything just vaccum once a month and rearange the plants and boat and go on so it never looks the same I think that with salt water the rocks stay in the same place and you get crazy looking things growing on the glass all the time

No they are not, you basically let your system clean itself. You rely on a clean up grew that consists of hermit crabs, shrimp, and snails. In the first year of having the tank up, you might experience some undesired algae growth which is normal. This can be a pain in the ass to take care off. But once your tank matures, your clean up crew will take care of the mess. You also need to do weekly water changes.

Danny, your tank looks great. A word of advice, I see you have numerous supplements. Once they are gone, I wouldn't waste your money on them. If you are doing weekly water changes, your salt mix will replenish your desired supplements. What salt are you using? I would suggest using Reef Crystals, concidering you have some LPS corals in your tank. LPS require higher calcium levels compared to soft corals. If you dont, it would be a good idea to get a calcium test kit, as well as a alkalinity test kit.

After having a Salt Water tank, I couldn't even imagine having a freshwater, I mean look at the beauty, this is ALL live coral, there is nothing artificial in this tank:

89530mini-rcadam.jpg

I do water changes every 2 weeks I use premixed water that my friend mixes for me with his RO system and he uses reef crystals. I use all the additives and get them for free and will continue to do it this way. My friend has over 20 years into SW and trust everything he does.

I have all the testing supplies I could ever need also and test every 48 hours. The next tank going up is a 185 drilled tank which will house eels, trigger, tang, lionfish, and a few others. I will also be setting up a solana in my kitchen. I try to keep an open mind, but its hard when you have a friend that manages over 500,000 gallons of SW.

And to Pimpss I hate canopy's and like the light fixture...If I changed I would have to do retrofit lighting and just throw away money that I already spent in the Nova extreme fixture. I would also have to fork over another grand for a chiller to keep the tank cool with a canopy

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

I do water changes every 2 weeks I use premixed water that my friend mixes for me with his RO system and he uses reef crystals. I use all the additives and get them for free and will continue to do it this way. My friend has over 20 years into SW and trust everything he does.

I have all the testing supplies I could ever need also and test every 48 hours. The next tank going up is a 185 drilling tank which will house eels, trigger, tang, lionfish, and a few others. I will also be setting up a solana in my kitchen. I try to keep an open mind, but its hard when you a friend that manages over 500,000 gallons of SW.

And to Pimpss I hate canopy's and like the light fixture...If I changed I would have to do retrofit lighting and just through away money that I already spent in the Nova extreme fixture.

different strokes for different folks i guess i my self think the fixtures are ugly and the canopy is clean in my opinion it is like having engine covers or not the covers look clean the bare engine looks unfinished just my opinion

different strokes for different folks i guess i my self think the fixtures are ugly and the canopy is clean in my opinion it is like having engine covers or not the covers look clean the bare engine looks unfinished just my opinion

well If you had 400 in a light fixture and had to trash it because you wanted a canopy would you? Then the question arrives.....would you spend another 400 for a retrofit kit and 800-1000 on a chiller....ya see my point.

Im with you on this one, I have a canopy over my 115 with a retrofit in it and wouldnt want it anyother way. Plus i dont understand why u need a chiller with a canopy? 90% of the ppl i have seen with them dont have chillers, and i dont live in a very cool area. I know I dont have one and my water stays 82-84 all the time.

Im with you on this one, I have a canopy over my 115 with a retrofit in it and wouldnt want it anyother way. Plus i dont understand why u need a chiller with a canopy? 90% of the ppl i have seen with them dont have chillers, and i dont live in a very cool area. I know I dont have one and my water stays 82-84 all the time.

You are right. The only way a person would need a chiller is if they are using metal halides, and it still would depend on the wattage and the number of bulbs. My best friend who owns a SW fish store has three 75 gallon tanks with (2) 250w Metal halides on each and he doesn't need a chiller, the most important part is to have some built in fans that pushes the heat out of the canopy. With T5 lighting it wouldn't be an issue, especially with only 4 bulbs.

You are right. The only way a person would need a chiller is if they are using metal halides, and it still would depend on the wattage and the number of bulbs. My best friend who owns a SW fish store has three 75 gallon tanks with (2) 250w Metal halides on each and he doesn't need a chiller, the most important part is to have some built in fans that pushes the heat out of the canopy. With T5 lighting it wouldn't be an issue, especially with only 4 bulbs.

Incorrect I already have to fight to keep my temps at 80 with no glass tops..... look at your location...you are not in texas where it gets well over 100*. Of coarse this thread is already turning into threads over on the reef boards......too many chiefs not enough Indians.

I will say this opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one and they all stink. So if you don't have something nice to say about the thread then please don't respond.

Of coarse like I always say I know nothing and all these other folks on the internet are goddammed geniuses. :rant:

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

Incorrect I already have to fight to keep my temps at 80 with no glass tops..... look at your location...you are not in texas where it gets well over 100*. Of coarse this thread is already turning into threads over on the reef boards......too many chiefs not enough Indians.

I will say this opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one and they all stink. So if you don't have something nice to say about the thread then please don't respond.

Of coarse like I always say I know nothing and all these other folks on the internet are goddammed geniuses. :rant:

Sorry for offering my advice and opinions. I have been in this hobby long enough to have an SPS tank thrive, which is the most difficult to keep. FYI, in the summer, the average temp in ND is 90 to 95, I live in an upstairs apartment with a window airconditioner. I have no problem keep my tank at 80 degrees with a 5 bulb T5 fixture with individual reflectors. If you have an airconditioner, then you shouldn't need to spend the money on a chiller.

You, are the one who is taking it in the wrong way. No need to get so offensive. Wether it's a truck forum or a reef forum, everyone will have opinions, you know this. I will keep my comments about SW on the Reef Boards. And I am sorry I commended you on your tank looking GREAT in my first post.

Sorry for offering my advice and opinions. I have been in this hobby long enough to have an SPS tank thrive, which is the most difficult to keep. FYI, in the summer, the average temp in ND is 85 to 95, I live in an upstairs apartment with a window airconditioner. I have no problem keep my tank at 80 degrees with a 5 bulb T5 fixture with individual reflectors. If you have an airconditioner, then you shouldn't need to spend the money on a chiller.

You, are the one who is taking it in the wrong way. I will keep my comments about SW on the Reef Boards.

GOOD!