Diesel Guys

05blackss86

My fathers 05 dmax (currently wrecked and getting repaired) is out of warranty with 106k on the clock. Recently noticed while driving it that it has and tendancy to hunt atlower rpms (idling in drive, or on the brake at a light). This problem is bothersome as it feels as though sometimes she wants to lounge foward at a light if your not on the brake hard enough. I know very little about diesels, but realize they have a governor to maintain the idle. I have been told that a governor adjustment could take care of the hunting which i will look into while shes getting fixed however, i was wondering if there are any other issues that could be causing this problem.

thanks,

scott

could be a faulty injector pump :dunno:

yea Dan, that has crossed my mind considering he has picked up two bad loads of fuel from BP since owning the truck. Both times we ended with replacing two of the injectors so god knows what ran through the pump. He claims that the truck runs smoother after running injector cleaner through it however, the hunting always comes back after a tank or two.

scott

try the simple things first. Fuel filter and some diesel fuel conditioner. Could be injectors. GM had a problem with the injectors in the LB7 diesels, but I think they got that resolved when the LLY's came out in the 2004.5 and up.

Check the Duramax forums for any info.

Edited by thomp62301 (see edit history)