Front End Dead

Ever since I bought this truck about 6 months ago it has had this very slight intermittent noise coming from the front end,mostly under light throttle. It just recently got louder and I put it up on the lift and checked around. I found the drivers side inner axle having way too much play. I assumed it was just the axle bearing. I removed the axle seal and found a piece of metal sitting next to the diff. bearing adjustment nut. It was the lock to keep the nut from backing off. The nut and the sleeve that the nut goes in were loose and I could see the ring gear and it was worn badly. After popping the case open I realized that there was little that could be saved. The nut had backed off some and allowed the diff to move around.

I priced the tools to rebuild it compared to the labor and the tools were more expensive so I had it rebuilt by Driveline Service in Reno. Total was $1101 with labor at $390. Not what I really wanted to spend money on but what can you do? Turnaround on the rebuild was less that one day, so I was impressed with that at least. I'm installing the front axle today so hopefully things will be ok. For the break-in Driveline Service recommended that I change the fluid after 5000 miles then every 10,000 after that.

It's just funny looking back at it all. The previous owner (Creederado) took it to a shop when he owned it and they told him that this noise is normal for these trucks, although he knew better. At that time the mileage must had been in the neighborhood of 30,000-35,000 and now it is at 50,000. Not high mileage by any means. Is this just a fluke that the diff. bearing adjustment nut lock broke and took everything else with it? Or is it just the assemblers carelessness? Either way I just thought this sucked and thought I'd share. Does anyone else have a noise? :wtf:

HUH. I have be hearing a whooshing noise coming from the front end. i ask people if they can hear that and they say no. So last night my girlfriend heard it and asked what that noise was. Maybe i should bring it in to get looked at. i have 86,000 bought the truck with 8800. I pick up on every little noise in that thing. Sorry for the for what happened to your truck but thanks for the write up as to what it was..

Congrats on the new truck, sorry to hear you had to inherit a problem but it is common on the AWD trucks. The original front axle in my truck got to thunking and clunking at about 40K so I replaced it with one from a salvaged truck, but not it's got about 40K on it and is beginning to make the same noises :uhoh:

Mr. P.

At about 25k-35k mileage range I really started noticing a sound in mine that was different than the dealer explained "normal frontend growl while turning at slow speeds". I took it in while it was still under the 3/36 warranty and took the dealers shop foreman for a ride and of course he couldn't hear anything! Surprise, Surprise! But he told me that he would document my concern and if it should worsen it would be covered under warranty. Well, it did worsen to the point the wife said "what was that"? When she heard it I knew it was bad enough for a deaf technician to hear, so back to the dealership I go, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho! Got a call back in couple of hours and they said the front diff need completely rebuilt, Surprise, surprise, surprise! $1900 later and a battle with them as to whether it would be covered under the original 3/36 warranty or my extended warranty (I get the total purchase price back if I never use it) and me threatening to quit doing business with them I was out the door. In a previous conversation with one of their service writers I asked him if he was aware of front diff problems on the SS's and he said "No, but they had replaced/rebuilt several regular 4x4 Silverado front diffs" and I think that was just because there are not many SSS's around here.

Anyways....enough ramblin! I just thought I'd let you know that you are not alone!

Mine would also make noise occationally before I had it fixed at most speeds when the load was taken off such as a going downhill. While I'm thinking about it how often do you guys change your front/ rear end fluids? To be honest I don't know that before I bought the truck that the axle fluid has ever been changed. Kind of overlooked that. :blush: Now dare I change the rear end fluid? :D

Sick03ss-Before you bring it in pull the drain and check for metal. In case you havent already. I hope it's nothing.

Mr. P. - At what speed does yours make noise? And just curious how much did yoiur salvage unit cost, just as a comparison?

Booth, maverik & ledfoot- Sorry to hear about your guys problems also. It's sad the see so many having problems. I was kind of hoping I was one of the only ones. What are they doing at GM? :unsure:

Rays B4U- Thanks for sharing. It's very suprising ( for me at least) to see this occuring at such low mileage.

I got everything together today and drove it about 30 miles. I am super paranoid about noises now and I hear everything . :uhoh: Well nothing unusual yet. I will continue to drive it for a couple weeks instead of my daily driver and hopefully all is well in gearland.

Edited by Nevada79 (see edit history)

If you are getting noise, don't wait to get it looked at. I recently bought an 03 SS and started hearing a howling noise coming from the front end. When I drained the front diff, metal came out with some oil in it. It turned out to be cheaper to buy a whole new front diff than to rebuild the original. Either way we're talking over $1400 dollars in repairs.

Thanks for sharing. It's very suprising ( for me at least) to see this occuring at such low mileage

mine went bad with only 190 miles on it. had a new one shipped from the assembly plant and after it was installed, it was bad also..bad bearings from one of there suppliers. from what i was told by GM. so it is a hit and miss on 03 and early 04s.

:seeya:

Nevada79, I had exactly the same problem with my IFS. When the tab broke (driver’s side) it allowed play in the carrier bearings. Over time it beat up the carrier bearings, and the noise started. I bought my truck new in 2003. It now has 73,000 miles on it. I just replaced the IFS. After doing some research on line I found a few solutions that could help everyone on this site. I decided to go with a rebuilt unit from Zumbrota bearing and gear (http://www.zbag.com) for 750.00 you get a completely rebuilt unit including axles, and seals. They charge a 350.00 core charge, and shipping both ways for 120.00. It comes with a one year unlimited mileage warranty. I installed the unit myself in about 1.5 HRS. The rebuilt unit is quiet and smooth.

I also considered purchasing a unit from (http://www.justdifferentials.com/). They sell a rebuilt unit that comes with a new case, but no axle shafts or passenger side axle tube for 1000.00 plus shipping. No core charge. They do not want your core. It also comes with a one year unlimited mileage warranty.

Jasper is smoking crack! They want 1900.00 plus 500.00 core deposit, and shipping. It also comes with a three year 100,000 mileage warranty. (http://www.jasperengines.com/differential-rear-axle.htm)

The GM factory discontinued selling the (Complete) replacement IFS for some reason. Cost was 1264.00 (New). I could not find a leftover anywhere in the US. :chevy: