Low Profile Tires On Stock Ss Wheels

Les Hall

Any of you guys have pictures of low profile tires on the stock SS wheels? I was planning on doing a 2/4 drop & getting some black wheels with a polished lip,,but since I've just discovered how crapy my current tires are for traction,,,I'm thinking about just doing the drop & adding a set of the new BFGoodrich g-force tires,,and I think the stockers look sooo much better with low profile tires. I know the look I am trying to get,,I just don't know about the size,,so if ya got pics,,tire size would be a big help.

Thanx!

Here ya go: the wheels are from Centerline, but they're stock size 20 x 8.5 -and- stock offset; tires are Pirelli Scorpion A 295/45 VR20. Wheels, Tires, and McGaughys Deluxe drop was a very early mod for me so the truck has been like this a long time now, here's some of the more photogenic shots from the last few years:

sss_lf_c.jpg

sss_rr_2.jpg

Lined-up with the guys at Hooters (for comparison):

01-lineup1.jpg

02-misterp.jpg

The drop is 2.75 in front, 3.75 in rear; the tires drop the truck another 1-inch as well. The tires are small enough that you will have to re-tune for the size difference, the truck will act like it has 4.56 gears and you also loose just over 1/2-mpg as well. But damn I love how it looks :D

Mr. P. :)

Here ya go: the wheels are from Centerline, but they're stock size 20 x 8.5 -and- stock offset; tires are Pirelli Scorpion A 295/45 VR20. Wheels, Tires, and McGaughys Deluxe drop was a very early mod for me so the truck has been like this a long time now, here's some of the more photogenic shots from the last few years:

sss_lf_c.jpg

sss_rr_2.jpg

Lined-up with the guys at Hooters (for comparison):

01-lineup1.jpg

02-misterp.jpg

The drop is 2.75 in front, 3.75 in rear; the tires drop the truck another 1-inch as well. The tires are small enough that you will have to re-tune for the size difference, the truck will act like it has 4.56 gears and you also loose just over 1/2-mpg as well. But damn I love how it looks :D

Thanx Mr P. thats the look I'm after,,

and that pic with the other trucks shows just how much a few inches & some low profiles on 20"s really changes the look of it, 2.75 up front huh? did you use drop spindles/coils? and leafs or shackles & hangers out back?

I'm planning on going Beltech 2"/4" drop spindles & shackles & hangers. now if I go with that size tire,,and adjust for the tire size with my HyperJUNK handheld,,Will it still act like 4.56 gears? that with those BFGoodrich G-Force tires may give me alot better launch huh? well thanx again for the pics :thumbs:

Thanx Mr P. thats the look I'm after,,

and that pic with the other trucks shows just how much a few inches & some low profiles on 20"s really changes the look of it, 2.75 up front huh? did you use drop spindles/coils? and leafs or shackles & hangers out back?

I'm planning on going Beltech 2"/4" drop spindles & shackles & hangers. now if I go with that size tire,,and adjust for the tire size with my HyperJUNK handheld,,Will it still act like 4.56 gears? that with those BFGoodrich G-Force tires may give me alot better launch huh? well thanx again for the pics :thumbs:

Thanks for the compliment! :thumbs:

Front = 2" dropped spindle + 1" drop keys; the front-end barely aligns, the needles are in the yellow almost in the red, but it doesn't chew through tires. Bumpsteer is an issue, I want to try the DJM tie rod flip kit.

Rear = drop hangers and drop shackles, was a total f'n disaster. The rear pinion was off 9-degrees, no amount of shimming will fix that so we were forced to cut/reweld the spring perches to the axle, major PITA and there's still a driveline vibration because I think the geometry at the front of the driveline is out of phase, I dunno. It is still an issue.

Yes the truck will behave like it has more gear, because the tires are 2" shorter than stock. It eats into your highway mileage substantially. But when combined with a GOOD converter it's a blast around town heheh :driving:

One other thing - the 295's are about the widest that you can fit on the stock rim width, and there is a lot of "shoulder" in the tire, you won't curb your rims that's for sure!!

Found another pic of the truck, right after drop was installed, it's the only one I have showing the width of the front tire (which is substantial, like 13+ inches):

drop.jpg

Another pic, Dan (sprayed99) took this one:

01_Body_Profile.jpg

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

wow so wen you get the hanger/shackles it will mess up your drivetrain???

i have shackles now and was lookin ginto getting some hangers!!?? wat do i have to do then to fix this pinion problem i know people have done hanger and shackles without problems! wat havent they told us!?

I think it has to do with the brand you choose; I used the McGaughys and ... never again. I believe it has to do with design of the front hanger, but I am not sure.

I think it has to do with the brand you choose; I used the McGaughys and ... never again. I believe it has to do with design of the front hanger, but I am not sure.

Me and slammedbowtie run the Mcgaughy hangers/shakles whit no problems. We used the top hole in the hanger and in your how-to you used the lower hole maybe that had something to do whit it?

Me and slammedbowtie run the Mcgaughy hangers/shakles whit no problems. We used the top hole in the hanger and in your how-to you used the lower hole maybe that had something to do whit it?

Right after install I switched and use the top hole; the truck had a driveline vibration so bad it was like a u-joint about to blow, after we rotated the axle it still has the vibration but now only at 72-73-mph. :dunno:

Mr. P.

I used djm and had to put 3* shims from belltech. Put it on the pinion angle gauge at my dealership I used to work at and it was in spec. That sucks about your's mr P, but mine has no driveline issues. It also has alot to do with the how much the front end is lowered, and I think it also has to do with the truck in general. I have talked to people who have had to shim the hell out of it, and some who aren't running shims at all with no vibration problems.

I used djm and had to put 3* shims from belltech. Put it on the pinion angle gauge at my dealership I used to work at and it was in spec. That sucks about your's mr P, but mine has no driveline issues. It also has alot to do with the how much the front end is lowered, and I think it also has to do with the truck in general. I have talked to people who have had to shim the hell out of it, and some who aren't running shims at all with no vibration problems.

Yeah I've heard the same. For a long time now I've wanted to remove the McGaughys stuff and run all DJM, not right now but in a couple years I'll get to it; in the meantime I'm on the lookout for a stock axle from an 03-04 truck since I heavily modified mine :banghead:

Mr. P.

Thanks for the compliment! :thumbs:

Front = 2" dropped spindle + 1" drop keys; the front-end barely aligns, the needles are in the yellow almost in the red, but it doesn't chew through tires. Bumpsteer is an issue, I want to try the DJM tie rod flip kit.

Rear = drop hangers and drop shackles, was a total f'n disaster. The rear pinion was off 9-degrees, no amount of shimming will fix that so we were forced to cut/reweld the spring perches to the axle, major PITA and there's still a driveline vibration because I think the geometry at the front of the driveline is out of phase, I dunno. It is still an issue.

Yes the truck will behave like it has more gear, because the tires are 2" shorter than stock. It eats into your highway mileage substantially. But when combined with a GOOD converter it's a blast around town heheh :driving:

One other thing - the 295's are about the widest that you can fit on the stock rim width, and there is a lot of "shoulder" in the tire, you won't curb your rims that's for sure!!

Found another pic of the truck, right after drop was installed, it's the only one I have showing the width of the front tire (which is substantial, like 13+ inches):

drop.jpg

Another pic, Dan (sprayed99) took this one:

01_Body_Profile.jpg

thanks for the info,,,I wander if the vibration issue has something to do with it being awd? my last truck was a 2000 ex-cab silverado, I went with the beltech 2" drop spindles & beltech shackles +4" hangers in rear,,,,I never had any vibrations, but I did have to use the shims & the drivline alignment kit because the two piece drivshaft looked like a V after the drop,,,thats the main part I'm hating about dropping the SS, that and having to lower the tank to remove that one bolt, & grinding off those dang rivits!,,,I guess I'm not looking forward to it at all huh,,but worth the end result