Painting Cooler

Just got my Tru-Cool Max, I would like to paint it for some behind the grill eye candy. If anyone has suggestions im all for them, Was thinking i might use some Dupli-Coler ceramic engine enamel?. Its good for 500*F some red to match the truck.

Waltsum3, that tru-cool max transmission cooler looks like a nice upgrade to the stock unit. I do some towing, and running lower transmission temps will extend its life. Can you see a big change in operating temps?

Painting the cooler will have an affect on its cooling efficiency. I would contact the manufacturer, and ask for their suggestion on what kind of paint you can use. They might tell you not to paint it.

post-16736-1227448685_thumb.jpg

10.90@124mph :chevrolet:

Waltsum3, that tru-cool max transmission cooler looks like a nice upgrade to the stock unit. I do some towing, and running lower transmission temps will extend its life. Can you see a big change in operating temps?

Painting the cooler will have an affect on its cooling efficiency. I would contact the manufacturer, and ask for their suggestion on what kind of paint you can use. They might tell you not to paint it.

post-16736-1227448685_thumb.jpg

10.90@124mph :chevrolet:

Although I'm sure you're correct (to a degree), several members here have painted the stock coolers, aftermarket coolers, and I believe radiators as well. I cannot recall any singular issue with paint holding the heat in.

Most likely the unit is so efficient over the stock piece that a little paint does not bring it down.

Waltsum3 --> I would go ahead an use the 500* degree paint. Another possible option for you is high temperature grill paint. It goes on very flat, sticks well, and can easily withstand the heat. It can be found at most hardware stores and paint shops.

speedfrk73z I haven't istalled my cooler yet. I got a 20ft tavel trailer this summer, went on a trip down to VA and hit tran temp's of 205 going up a 2 lane mountain road for about 15 to 20 min. Just making sure it don't happen again this up cooming summer.

Painting is optional, but if you dust with a couple coats of spray paint it won't affect performance at all. RE hi-temp paint, Even if the transmission is on fire it's not going to get any hotter than 230, I've never heard of the tranny temp in a TCMax-equipped truck ever going above 170, I wouldn't hesitate to use regular (non hi-temp) paint although engine enamels would probably hold up best. If you want to approximate a OEM look you can't beat a couple coats of cheap flat-black BBQ/woodstove paint; it looks so factory that several guys using my TCMax mounting kit have told me their dealer service techs thought the TCMax was stock!

speedfrk73z - the OEM cooler is a joke, it's just a mere suggestion as to what a real tranny cooler should be. The TCMax holds 4-times more fluid and if you seriously tow or have a 2800+ converter installed then it's a very wise investment.

Mr. P.

They come raw unfinished aluminum.

:withstupid:

I painted mine flat black I believe and it has had no effect on my trans temp. the trucool does a great job at keeping temps down. I painted mine because I didn't want it to stand out. I've put on aftermarket grille pices so I want the cooler to be hidden. :cheers: