No Love For Flowmasters

diggerdan11

I have been reading lots of topics in this section and it seems like many people seem to believe that flowmasters are more restrictive then lets say magniflows. Is this really true. Im planning on changing my exhaust setup, right now i have Flowmaster 50 series SUV muflers. I want something louder so i was thinking about getting some 40 series or super 44s, but many people seem to think that flowmasters are restrictive and will actually hurt my performance. Is this really true. If so is it really worth the extra money to get a magnaflow over a flowmaster, are you really getting that much performance gain for the price?

Just curious if there have been any research done. I would love to see some dyno numbers that shoe that a magnaflow gains more power then a flowmaster

i was like you, i wanted to get a corsa sport. but money was tight so when i went with a custom exhaust, they used flowmasters40 series. at first i was like man its flowmasters, but the price was right. an when i started it up an drove down the street with a big ole grin on my face, i was like sweet it flowmasters. so its like booth said apples an oranges. but when i went home i let a beefed up tahoe go by me. from about a mile back i decided i wanted to catch him. my truck had alot more power. i caught up to him pretty fast then past him like he was standing still. just my .02 good luck with your choice. i'm happy with mine.

mufflers sound better on certain vehicles. I think flows sound better on furds than they do on chevy, just find the muffler you think sounds best. I prefer flows, but its about the only thing you find around my area.

well, i dont think of it as a chevy/ford thing... if you look at the cutout of a flowmaster (most of them), they are chambered and the air needs to hit several things and go through several passages before it can exit. corsa, magnaflow, and some others are just plain straight through. the inlet goes right to the outlet. theres no restriction there. flowmasters generally DO create backpressure. now, on high HP cars your gunna loose power. on under-powered cars (not much HP, big ass exhaust) they seem to loose low end TQ with flows.

its like ford vs chevy, some people likr one thing others make up reasons to hate it... i have flowmaster 40's and love them (and me neighbors hate me!) :D

i had dual 40's on mine before, thought was to loud , went magnaflow, to quiet, no back to flowmaster bigblock series, when i change the exhaust to side exit iam going to go back to the 40's, want that rumble and make people unhumble.... lolol flowmaster good stuff.

its too bad that we dont all live closer to each other. local shop is wanting to let us have a SS Gathering at his place, burgers, brats and lets us use the shop for mods and anything else we would want to do. he willing to give special pricing and and take an SS put it up on the rack and cut the exhaust and tack in several mufflers and let us listen to all of them, the SS that was used would obviously get a good price and new muffler out of the deal.. that way we could hear all of them and decide for ourselves.. he had done this for the local mustang club and he had a good turn out and lots of fun, everybody loved the tack and tune session and walk away with in their mind what they wanted for exhaust/muffler.. maybe this summer ??? you more than welcome to call and pick his brain, Pete at Iowamuffler.. 515-243-5186 make sure you mention that Rich or Chris with the SS sent ya..

its too bad that we dont all live closer to each other. local shop is wanting to let us have a SS Gathering at his place, burgers, brats and lets us use the shop for mods and anything else we would want to do. he willing to give special pricing and and take an SS put it up on the rack and cut the exhaust and tack in several mufflers and let us listen to all of them, the SS that was used would obviously get a good price and new muffler out of the deal.. that way we could hear all of them and decide for ourselves.. he had done this for the local mustang club and he had a good turn out and lots of fun, everybody loved the tack and tune session and walk away with in their mind what they wanted for exhaust/muffler.. maybe this summer ??? you more than welcome to call and pick his brain, Pete at Iowamuffler.. 515-243-5186 make sure you mention that Rich or Chris with the SS sent ya..

THAT Is the KOOOOList thing ive heard in a Loooooooooooong time! I am in! FFTW!

I may still have a corsa touring muff to test. Shoot I will start collecting a few just to here em!

Great fin idea SSPOSSE!

I wouldn't group the BB and BBII mufflers into the same class as the smaller series flow masters. There is much more volume there then what is needed. I had the Magnaflow cat back and to me it was just to much after a year the muffler burned out and then it was boardering on absurd. I put a BBII70 in the mufflers place. That is a serious piece of metal compared to my magnaflow. I have not made it back to a dyno since then but I would say I picked up a little torque if not some hp, and I am running a SC with a 2.8 pulley. And now I can talk to my wife until I floor it. :D

Im staying stock, until its time for a corsa or B&B. I am like you, want to change the muffler and keep the stock setup. I like the maganaflow for a muffler swap best. I know there was a corsa muffler f/s on here but havent checked it in awhile.