Need Some Advice On Brakes/rotors

sleepingcrna

2004 AWD with 45,000 miles. Needs new brakes and they said rotors are rusted and shot also. All this will cost around $850 at GM dealer. Probably stay with factory parts due to moderate driving and occasionally pulling a 21' boat. Any ideas if this is worth doing myself, and if so, is there a thread on it. I searched here at work and didn't have any luck on the forum search. Or would i not save enough to do it myself. I've also heard a lot of talk about upgraded parts. Is it really necessary if you're not doing anything extraordinary with the truck? As usual, any advice would be much appreciated. Mike

if you have any mechanical experience at all the brakes on these trucks are extremely simple compared to my old 97 silverado. four bolts and the calipers and and pad brackets are off then you just pull the rotor. put the new rotor on. compress the brake caliper piston. don't open the bleeder as not to introduce air into the system. replace the pads in their bracket and install it. then put the caliper back on. make sure to pump the brakes before moving the truck and you should be good to go.

if you have any mechanical experience at all the brakes on these trucks are extremely simple compared to my old 97 silverado. four bolts and the calipers and and pad brackets are off then you just pull the rotor. put the new rotor on. compress the brake caliper piston. don't open the bleeder as not to introduce air into the system. replace the pads in their bracket and install it. then put the caliper back on. make sure to pump the brakes before moving the truck and you should be good to go.

Can it really be that simple? If that's the case, i'm assuming that GM factory brakes/rotors are as-usual-overpriced, is there another brand that is cheaper but equal or better in quality? I certainly don't want to sacrifice on quality here. And i don't have a problem buying from the dealer if it's a good solid product at a fair price.

That $850 better include labor or they are taking you for a ride. Changing the rotors and pads yourself isn't hard at all if you have the tools. Here is what you can get that is of equal or better quality to GM parts...

(4)stock size replacement Power Slot Rotors for around $100 each

(2)sets of Hawk HPS brake pads for around $75 each

and if you want to go crazy.......

(1)set of Earl's Performance Braided Stainless Brake lines for around $150 for the set

Four O.E. AC Delco replacement rotors will probably cost you the same as the Power Slots, if not more. Delco pads will definitely cost you more thats for sure. The dealers always mark everything up.

That $850 better include labor or they are taking you for a ride. Changing the rotors and pads yourself isn't hard at all if you have the tools. Here is what you can get that is of equal or better quality to GM parts...

(1)set of Earl's Performance Braided Stainless Brake lines for around $150 for the set

Four O.E. AC Delco replacement rotors will probably cost you the same as the Power Slots, if not more. Delco pads will definitely cost you more thats for sure. The dealers always mark everything up.

The quote from the dealer was $850 for parts only. No *W$*(#* way am i spending that kind of coin. I've done enough different kind of jobs myself to know the value of doing it yourself. But i've been burned by doing that as well. I'm hellbent on doing this myself and honestly i don't think it'll be a problem with a little research. I really appreciate the input from you guys. Sometimes that's all it takes to get things done. Has Mr. P or anyone else done a HOW-TO on this? Tools needed, etc , or is it just like you say Wrecker? If i can get the parts, it's gonna happen this weekend.

Holy Moly.

I just spoke to my dealership for OEM brakes for rears on my 03 SS and rotors are $89, pads $84.

I will not have the dealership do my work. Met a great member off here and will have him do the work. I trust him most and he knows my own truck better and longer than me, long story short.

Did you go online for your pads/rotors? Spent 45 min on the phone locally looking for the hawks and power slots or even baer parts...nobody in this one horse town can get any of it. If you get a minute let me know. Thanks.

Did you go online for your pads/rotors? Spent 45 min on the phone locally looking for the hawks and power slots or even baer parts...nobody in this one horse town can get any of it. If you get a minute let me know. Thanks.

www.summiitracing.com