Need Some Advice On Brakes/rotors

sleepingcrna

I finally found a place in town to do brakes/rotors/labor for 575.00 plus tax. But now i keep thinking i'm gonna do it myself. As long as i don't screw things up to bad, the labor $ i save will get me some shocks. I found the brake install how-to, but the pics are gone. Anyone know what gives? And btw, thanks Fireman for web listings.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be so late to the topic, but what you have posted here is just rediculous.

First ot all the pre-'05 brakes are crap IMO, I would NOT even attempt to tow a 21-foot *anything* on the factory brakes; they'll work fine until you have to panic stop that biatch. And I certainly would not drive fast on the factory brakes. You better have good trailer brakes on whatever you are towing.

You have two choices for brakes, that is do it cheap, or if you are going to spend premium money then upgrade to a good kit with at least 14" rotors, 15" preferred.

Doing it cheap, if the rotors need turning then take them off and drive them to a machinist and they'll resurface them for very reasonable. Get mid-grade OEM replacement pads at the local auto parts store. If the rotors are shot then get two used (but good shape) rotors from a salvage yard for a few bucks. You should be able to get OEM quality braking for $150-250 assuming you need to do all four wheels and I'm pretty sure I could do even better than that. Doing your own brakes is EASY, once I show you how to do one it's falling off a log simple from there, brake jobs in these trucks are a minor chore.

If you were seriously considering lots of money for your brakes (a very SMART idea) then upgrade to either a used set of Baers or go the Corvette adapter route; if you cannot afford to do all 4 wheels at once, do the fronts first and get to the rears as you can.

$800+ for a brake job is just insane IMO.

Mr. P.

Sorry to be so late to the topic, but what you have posted here is just rediculous.

First ot all the pre-'05 brakes are crap IMO, I would NOT even attempt to tow a 21-foot *anything* on the factory brakes; they'll work fine until you have to panic stop that biatch. And I certainly would not drive fast on the factory brakes. You better have good trailer brakes on whatever you are towing.

You have two choices for brakes, that is do it cheap, or if you are going to spend premium money then upgrade to a good kit with at least 14" rotors, 15" preferred.

Doing it cheap, if the rotors need turning then take them off and drive them to a machinist and they'll resurface them for very reasonable. Get mid-grade OEM replacement pads at the local auto parts store. If the rotors are shot then get two used (but good shape) rotors from a salvage yard for a few bucks. You should be able to get OEM quality braking for $150-250 assuming you need to do all four wheels and I'm pretty sure I could do even better than that. Doing your own brakes is EASY, once I show you how to do one it's falling off a log simple from there, brake jobs in these trucks are a minor chore.

If you were seriously considering lots of money for your brakes (a very SMART idea) then upgrade to either a used set of Baers or go the Corvette adapter route; if you cannot afford to do all 4 wheels at once, do the fronts first and get to the rears as you can.

$800+ for a brake job is just insane IMO.

Mr. P.

Yeah, didn't take long to figure this one out. Picked up a good deal from a fellow member not long ago. Should be here on Thursday and the install hopefully begins on Saturday. Looks like a good how-to on here but the pics are gone. I'm gonna gut through it hopefully without too many issues. Just a little concerned about the relocation brackets and getting the rotors off. Wish i would have picked up some some new lines/fluid in the meantime. But that'll be another day. And Yes, crap sums it up. Pulled the wheels and couldn't believe the crap rusting away behind my wheels.

Yeah, didn't take long to figure this one out. Picked up a good deal from a fellow member not long ago. Should be here on Thursday and the install hopefully begins on Saturday. Looks like a good how-to on here but the pics are gone. I'm gonna gut through it hopefully without too many issues. Just a little concerned about the relocation brackets and getting the rotors off. Wish i would have picked up some some new lines/fluid in the meantime. But that'll be another day. And Yes, crap sums it up. Pulled the wheels and couldn't believe the crap rusting away behind my wheels.

Is it one of my how-tos? If so lemme know which one and I will edit the links to the pics.

Just an FYI, I did my rear brakes today in the snow... and it took me less than 30 minutes from the time the wheels left the ground to the time they were back on the ground.

That's encouraging. Probably try to get it done this weekend. Only hope mine goes that smooth. After a discussion with Mr.P, i'm gonna try to tackle the brake lines as well. It might be a long weekend. I'll update on mine as well when the damage is done.