(diy) Remote Start?

Les Hall

Been wanting to add remote start to the SS, Had one installed on my last truck cost over $300.00, And they just used a basic el-cheapo model found online for like fourty bucks,,,,,tried searching for a how to on here with no luck. I was told it's kinda complicated, even have to add a extra box that makes the computer think a key is in the ignition,,,, anyone know of a good how-to on this?,,, Mr.P?

i do em daily. 300 for one of our trucks is the going rate. i can tell you there is over 130$ in parts needed to get the job done. and thats at cost. mark it up a lil bit and add some labor for the 3 hours time it takes a skilled person to do the job and thats very reasonable.

i do em daily. 300 for one of our trucks is the going rate. i can tell you there is over 130$ in parts needed to get the job done. and thats at cost. mark it up a lil bit and add some labor for the 3 hours time it takes a skilled person to do the job and thats very reasonable.

yeah thats what I was quoted around here also, well worth it on those cold mornings, just wonered if it's something a person with basic car audio skills could do, I've done more than a few car audio installs for myself and many of my friends, still far from being a pro at it. is there a wiring diagram out there for our trucks? something that shows where to connect the wires from a basic remote start system ? just curious,,,oh and I just changed my username to (miSSouriSS),,from (Les Hall),,,felt like a tard being the only one on the site using my real name so I finally changed it.

i do it for a living as well. its a remote bypass module. its about 40 bucks. u also need a few relays as well that let the doors open as well as brake release so if someone gets in ur truck while its on and trys to remove it from park it will kill the motor. go to ebay and type viper 791 xp or python 990. u can get a full remote start alarm for like 190. its the best alarm u can get as well. i have viper but its the same as python. there both DEI. get that and then go to a circuit city or best buy, pref. circuit city cause best buy sucks at audio, and have one of them install it for like 100 bucks.

i do it for a living as well. its a remote bypass module. its about 40 bucks. u also need a few relays as well that let the doors open as well as brake release so if someone gets in ur truck while its on and trys to remove it from park it will kill the motor. go to ebay and type viper 791 xp or python 990. u can get a full remote start alarm for like 190. its the best alarm u can get as well. i have viper but its the same as python. there both DEI. get that and then go to a circuit city or best buy, pref. circuit city cause best buy sucks at audio, and have one of them install it for like 100 bucks.

relays for locks? module for 40 bucks? relay for brake? wtf you talkin about?

use a bypasskit.com part number xk01 and it will do door locks, factory alarm disarm, heated seats when outdoor temp hits 32 degrees. as for the brake release relay, hook the brown wire from the DEI start to the white wire at the brake switch and the truck will die automatically. if you want starter kill, the DEI piece has that built in, cut the purple starter wire at the column and split it with the gree and purple wires from the DEI piece with the purple going down toward the car and the green going toward the key, this will also provide "dummy bump" to prevent grinding the starter. as for going to Circuit City and them being better than Best Buy, i beg to differ, they all have their pitfalls. but right now, Circuit is in Chapter 11 bank ruptcy, so where would you rather keep your warrenty? a place that come spring time will be closed or best buy that will be open for you to comeback with future problems that may arrise? also i know that i wont install any remote starters from off the street, i could be 2 hours into the install and it wont work. then i have to bill the customer for my time and he is still not working like he thought he would be.

sorry been doing this for over 18years. you could say i been around the block a few times. as for buying off the net with this kind of stuff, good luck with it.

To the guy thats been doing the autostart for 18 yrs. I have the viper SST auto start in my SSS and when i start it up in the mornings the headlights go on and off until i put the key in the ignition and step on the breaks before they go solid. I want to get HID's later on but dunno if thats going to be a problem for them. Is there any way to bypass the lights coming on and off when i start it up remotely thanks in advance ???

I've got a remote start in my daily driver and love it. I've been looking into the idea of putting a good security system with two way paging and remote start into the SS and I'm scared of something electrical going wrong. But it sure would be nice to have security, remote starting and also having the heated seats come on when the temps are cold. Any recommendations and would I still be able to use my factory keyfobs as well?

To the guy thats been doing the autostart for 18 yrs. I have the viper SST auto start in my SSS and when i start it up in the mornings the headlights go on and off until i put the key in the ignition and step on the breaks before they go solid. I want to get HID's later on but dunno if thats going to be a problem for them. Is there any way to bypass the lights coming on and off when i start it up remotely thanks in advance ???

one of two things will fix this. first if you never want the headlights to flash even when unlocking the truck, have the isntall shop disconnect the remote starter parking light output wire. this will stop it

secondly, have them go into programming with their bitwriter and set the parking light output to constant instead of pulsed. this will take care of the flashing headlights and leave just the parking lights on during remote start but the headlights will flash when locked and unlocked. (this will not cause a problem with HIDs, or at least it hasnt with mine and they have been on the truck for well over a year)

hope this helps

one of two things will fix this. first if you never want the headlights to flash even when unlocking the truck, have the isntall shop disconnect the remote starter parking light output wire. this will stop it

secondly, have them go into programming with their bitwriter and set the parking light output to constant instead of pulsed. this will take care of the flashing headlights and leave just the parking lights on during remote start but the headlights will flash when locked and unlocked. (this will not cause a problem with HIDs, or at least it hasnt with mine and they have been on the truck for well over a year)

hope this helps

that makes sense I had mine done at best buy so I'll take it back to them and have them do that thank you sirr!!!!