Servo Install Tip

Friday I installed a new servo in my transmission. All went well and the truck shifted great until the next day. As I was going down the road a heard a loud noise (kind of like a wrench or a servo hitting a heat shield). When I looked in the rearview mirror I saw the smoke so I pulled into a drive way and checked it out. I got out of the truck and crawled under to see what happened. Well to my surprise there was the new servo against the heat shield and my case was cracked and missing a chunk from the lower opening to the upper opening.

So the moral to this story is. Make damn sure you have the snap ring installed correctly. It may look like it is in, but be 100% sure it is. This could be a costly mistake I still can’t believe the new case is only going to cost me $200.00. And my buddy is a transmission guy so it should be a SNAP to fix.

Well it is back together and runs great. I only ended up paying 165.00 for the case. Once inside we found the band was burned so a new Kevlar band went in. We also found that the 2cnd accumulator (plastic) piston was cracked after the spring upgrade so I went to the big shaft housing and piston and reinstalled the same springs. The clutches all looked good after 74,000 miles I can still read the numbers on them. This was a very easy project with help from a great friend who does transmissions on the side. Now I have to decide where or who to get my PCM tuned from. Right now I have a tune from Brian (PCMforless) Any suggestions?

You are going to want to get tuned by Blackbear performance. I could seriously type a ton of paragraphs on Justin and his work, instead I'll let you see for yourself. Alot of members on here have been tuned by him and are very happy.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Oh, and I'm glad you read my transmission exploding thread LOL. I hope someone benefits from it.

I did the exact same thing, and well you can search for my thread it was a nightmare. I used to have a Brian Herter tune, I was very happy to have Justin Gadburry retune it, the truck was in constant knock retard the whole time.

Mr. P. :)

You are going to want to get tuned by Blackbear performance. I could seriously type a ton of paragraphs on Justin and his work, instead I'll let you see for yourself. Alot of members on here have been tuned by him and are very happy.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

:withstupid: I second his recommendation!! Justin @ Blackbear Performance is very knowledgeable about our trucks and is very easy to work with.

Wow I should have made a big pop from my install as it would have saved others the trouble I went though. I did the exact same thing except I didn't crack anything (luckily). I did ruin my vette servo and had to order another one but since I was already in the transmission I went ahead and installed the Transgo-HD kit. I did find out some interesting information about the servo. If you will turn the drive shaft back and forth a few times while someone presses on the plate it will release the pressure on it and make it much easier to remove/install. Mine was bound up and I found the info in the transgo kit for removing the servo to add the stiffer springs. Helped a lot on the 2nd round.