Efi Live Vs Hp Tuners

delay18

I am still a newbie on the SSSs and have minimal experience with tuning. I am very interested in tuning these trucks. I have been poking around and searching through the forums and have seen alot of people recomend custom tunes both for power and effieceny. I did some research a while back on EFI Live for tuning Duramax diesel engines and it seemed pretty user friendly. Obviously I am not talking about building complete one off tunes, I am no where near experienced enough to

be doing that. One of the things that I liked when looking in the Duramax forums, was that they had a library of tunes that could download and demo on your truck. The other thing that I like regarding EFI Live was being able to have a couple of tunes on a laptop, one for performance, one for effieciency. So naturally my curiosity has grown on tuning these engines.

1. Which tuning program would you recomend for a new tuner, who wants to tweak mild things at a time to start?

2. Is there any source to download generic tunes as described above?

3. When people on this forum are discussing having someone build a custom tune, are you talking about downloading a tune to your current PCM or sending your PCM to a tuner?

4. Is it possible to have a couple tunes on hand for performance/effiecency, kind of like a power programmer?

I will probably have for more questions to follow, but I will address them after.

Thanks in advance for your replies, and I am sorry if i put this in the wrong section. I did some searching before posting, but I am still new to this forum.

Thanks again,

Rob

IMO just pick your poison..I use EFI Live and love the support and others use HP Tuners and they same the same thing..and from what I have seen if you can use one you can use the other..

There are forums for both tuning programs that are full of info and help as there are memebrs on here who can help..

To answer your 3rd question you ship them your pcm or buy a pcm tuned and swap them out..How ever if you have EFI live or HP tuners and the tuner of your choice uses that you can just load it into your truck with your computer and send files via e-mail etc...

Which brings me to your last question if you have the software you can load and unload tunes as you please so if you want different tunes then you can.