Slowing Shifting From 3rd To 4th When Cold!

Good morning fellas. I wanted to get your opinion on this. Ever since it has been extremely cold here on the east coast and the truck has been sitting a few days, when I drive it, shifting through 1st -3rd is fine but when I am cruising on the highway it takes a few mins for it to eventually drop to 4th. Once it does drop to 4th its for the rest of the drive and the rest of the day. When it was warmer the tranny didn't do it, but only when it is extremely cold. Do you think it is time to beef up the tranny? The tranny fluid is still pink and the fluid level is still perfect.

I think your trans is fine, most likely has to do with operating temperature. I don't think these transmissions shift into 4th or OD until the fluid reaches a certain temperature......the record cold temps we have had here in the Northeast make everything act weird.

I live in jax Fl and have had no problems its been 29 degrees in the mornings and we have icesicles which should not be in Fl

The highs here have been in the teens, lows around 0, with sub-zero windchills.......it takes along time for things to warm up LOL.

I seem to recall a post by Mr. P that said something about not shifting into OD until the trans is warm. I'll have to look around for it and post a link.

Edit: Here's the post from Mr. P:

Yup I would blame the cold weather; the PCM will shift the transmission differently if ATF is below 100-degrees and in the weather you describe that takes a good 5+ minutes of easy driving to get up to temp; you will know because you'll have 4th but no lockup clutch until that temp is reached.

Mr. P.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

:withstupid: Hank you beat me to it - the converter will not lockup until the transmission fluid is over 100-degres; you're in 4th, just not in lock-up. Do drive the transmission easy until the fluid is up to temp, resist the urge to wind it out!

Mr. P.